Air conditioner and turn signal issue

Andrew Fort

Reaction score
I have what seems to be a somewhat unique issue. I had to change my glow plug controller and relay a fee weeks back. When I did this I also did the starter relay just because it looked terrible.

Well now my air conditioner and turn signals wont work.....BUT only when the truck is running. They work when the key is in the "ON" position but as soon as I start it they don't work at all.

Any ideas on this? I would greatly appreciate it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year truck?

Sound like a bad ignition switch to me, if you wiggle the key back and forth does anything change?

Andrew Fort

Reaction score
It’s a 1990. I haven’t tried that yet. I will as soon as I get back home and I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
What year truck?

Sound like a bad ignition switch to me, if you wiggle the key back and forth does anything change?

Ditto to this.
My truck has a weak spring in the ignition, if you don't physically turn it back a bit, the blower motor and turn signals don't work.

Andrew Fort

Reaction score
The electrical ignition switch or lock cylinder? Just making sure because sometimes those terms get interchanged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s the electrical ignition switch that goes bad, the terminals in them can be worn away, springs get week or the famous pot metal case breaking and the switch litteraly falls apart. The wiggling of the key cylinder sometimes can make the switch work and is an easy way to check for bad a bad switch.

Andrew Fort

Reaction score
I will check it first thing tomorrow. Just got home from the bike rally in Fayetteville, AR.

If it is the switch, how difficult is it to get to? I'm more mechanical than electrical.

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty easy to change, remove the headlight knob, wiper knob and pop the trim piece off, remove one screw and pop the other trim piece off, look under the dash and you will see two 9/16” head bolts holding the column to the dash, remove those and the steering column will drop down and you will see the switch on top of the column held in with 2 screws (or nuts, can’t remember), DONT break the tabs off of the plug, remove the switch then pull the plug off is the easiest way I have found.

Now your new switch should have a pin or retainer in it setting it to the off position, leave that in till you have the switch secured to the column as this sets the position of the switch, after the switch is in you can test it before putting everything back if you want.

Should only take about half an hour to do so it’s pretty easy job.

Andrew Fort

Reaction score
Sure enough I can find the sweet spot and get everything to work!

Andrew Fort

Reaction score
My take off wasn't as easy as hoped. The PO had trouble with the knobs it looks like, so the JB welded them on. So I just had to putmyhands around the steering column and take it off blindly. I'll have to do the same putting it back on. But its definitely bad. Before I even got it down all the way before unhooking it, it went into a few different pieces. Going to be replacing that and just a few more older parts on it my one day off this weekend.
You must be registered for see images

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My take off wasn't as easy as hoped. The PO had trouble with the knobs it looks like, so the JB welded them on. So I just had to putmyhands around the steering column and take it off blindly. I'll have to do the same putting it back on. But its definitely bad. Before I even got it down all the way before unhooking it, it went into a few different pieces. Going to be replacing that and just a few more older parts on it my one day off this weekend.
You must be registered for see images

That’s not uncommon for them to fall apart, in your pic, it looks like the left row of pins have been getting hot, is that just the angle of the picture? If they are toasty I would change the plug also so your not changing switches every year.

Andrew Fort

Reaction score
That’s not uncommon for them to fall apart, in your pic, it looks like the left row of pins have been getting hot, is that just the angle of the picture? If they are toasty I would change the plug also so your not changing switches every year.
I rechecked and it's just the angle of the picture.

Andrew Fort

Reaction score
Unrelated question, what is this for? It hangs out of the bottom rear of the air filter housing. And is not in great shape.
You must be registered for see images attach

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That tube is there to drain any water that may get sucked up into the air filter housing during heavy rain or off roading.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726