Aftermarket fuel gauge

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Will a aftermarket fuel gauge like a isspro or auto meter work
And how would I go about installing one. Reason for it is because my fuel gauge does not work.

gandalf

Reaction score
Will a aftermarket fuel gauge like a isspro or auto meter work
And how would I go about installing one. Reason for it is because my fuel gauge does not work.

Are you talking about the gauge itself? What you actually look at as you're driving down the road?

I think more likely the problem lies with the sender or the electronics/cabling along the way. I'd find a way to test everything before I bought a replacement gauge.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Are you talking about the gauge itself? What you actually look at as you're driving down the road?

I think more likely the problem lies with the sender or the electronics/cabling along the way. I'd find a way to test everything before I bought a replacement gauge.
Yes my sender is bad it does not read so I was looking at auto meters site and I saw a fuel gauge that mounts in a pod so I didn't know if it came with a sender that I can install in my tank

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most aftermarket senders do not incorporate fuel connection fittings. Our tanks only have 3 holes, 1 fill hole, 1 small hole for the roll-over/vent, and one large hole for the sending unit, which has the gauge sender stuff AND the fuel line hook-ups.

You will either have to find one with fuel line hook-ups, or cut another hole in your tank.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The senders are no longer available for these older truck. Your best bet is to drop the tank if it's the rear one and try to see what is wrong with it. It could be the wiring on the connector or just all corroded up, or the slider on the resistance cam. It can also be the connector on the FSV. The diagram below is for a 89, but will give you an idea what to look for.

Attachments

• Scan.BMP.jpg
    Scan.BMP.jpg
    856.1 KB · Views: 63

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Find out why yours isn't working before you condemn it. Could be as simple as a bad float.

There is a guy locally to me that rebuilds these senders. I can get his number if needed. You send him your sender and he rebuilds it and sends it back.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year truck?

Does it work on either tank? Does the tank selector work?

Have you checked fuses?

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
What year truck?

Does it work on either tank? Does the tank selector work?

Have you checked fuses?

I haven't checked fuses (don't know what fuse runs that) the PO hacked everything up so I only have front tank. It's a 86

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have a LOT to check/test/eliminate before punting to an aftermarket gauge. If the PO did any shenanigans with the selector valve, that's very likely the explanation of the inop gauge, since the gauge feed goes through the selector.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isspro makes a good gauge. I carry them here. But I'm willing to bet you don't need it. Have you ruled out the tank selector valve? That has to carry your electrical signal to the gauge, and those things have a history of being a problem in that area as well. Also the factory gauges in the cluster ARE replaceable, and I'm sure quite a few of us have them laying around.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
You have a LOT to check/test/eliminate before punting to an aftermarket gauge. If the PO did any shenanigans with the selector valve, that's very likely the explanation of the inop gauge, since the gauge feed goes through the selector.

Interesting I'm not looking forward to dealing with all the Wiring that the PO messed with but hopefully it won't be too bad. I'll look into the selector valve.

Isspro makes a good gauge. I carry them here. But I'm willing to bet you don't need it. Have you ruled out the tank selector valve? That has to carry your electrical signal to the gauge, and those things have a history of being a problem in that area as well. Also the factory gauges in the cluster ARE replaceable, and I'm sure quite a few of us have them laying around.[/ QUOTE]

No I haven't had time too give the truck a good inspection hopefully in the next week or two I'll have it doen where I live and that'll be easier to work on instead of a friends back yard. Chances are it's the selector valve since there both missing.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Find out why yours isn't working before you condemn it. Could be as simple as a bad float.

There is a guy locally to me that rebuilds these senders. I can get his number if needed. You send him your sender and he rebuilds it and sends it back.

Thanks if you could PM his number that would be great

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my fuel gauge didnt work either. i replaced the switch and BAM! it works like normal again!

do us a favor put the description of your truck in your signature.
lets everyone know what you are working on instead of guessing.

from the looks of your posts, youre going to be here a while workin out the bugs!
thse trucks sure are fun tho... IMO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajuka