Aftermarket air filter-- how best to route CDR gasses?

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Where did you get that intake hat for the intercooler piping joshbear?
I fabbed it very unprofessionally at home. It is a 3"-5" SS cone and 90* SS elbow welded together. I added 3 little tabs at the 5" part of the cone so it couldnt slip around and a short tube to the top for the bolt to have a flat purchase. It took way too long and I messed up a few things but learned a lot too. I like it and it does what I want!

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Josh I like it too. Where you find that 3"-5" piece?

And another question: I probably missed something in the past, but what is that Motorcraft FL-1A filter set-up you have mounted? By-pass oil?
The fl-1a is the oil filter for a 7.3 powerstroke that is better than our idi filters and is a direct swap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
No. The FL1A is for gasoline engines such as a 302, 351W, 460, etc. The FL1995 is the powerstroke oil filter that's the direct swap for our engines.

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No. The FL1A is for gasoline engines such as a 302, 351W, 460, etc. The FL1995 is the powerstroke oil filter that's the direct swap for our engines.
And now that you say that I feel like a ******* lol. I have the fl-1a on my 96 5.0. I need one of those sobriety/breathalyzer deals to be allowed to post lol

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Josh I like it too. Where you find that 3"-5" piece?

And another question: I probably missed something in the past, but what is that Motorcraft FL-1A filter set-up you have mounted? By-pass oil?
Hey thanks! I was actually able to find both parts cheap-ish. Considering its stainless, really good deals. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008RZV28E?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf -cone

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/112541724337-elbow. This elbow is the nicest peice of stainless anything I've ever seen. It was a shame I had to cut ~2.75 inches off one end so the hood would clear.

The FL-A1 filter is a concept I got from a member on FTE. It's an oil filter but we use it for coolant filtration. At $6/ea they are super cheap and work better than a coolant filter really needs to. Only problem is they restrict the heat into the cab a bit-- one guy said just change the block supply fitting for a standard type NPT/barb and the flow comes back. That's a mod I may do tomorrow, now that i finally have this other stuff buttoned down. (The stock heater hose fitting from the block has a nylon insert to slow down the flow into the heater core)

Yes sir! I have the big oil filter on my rig, too.

And now that you say that I feel like a ******* lol. I have the fl-1a on my 96 5.0. I need one of those sobriety/breathalyzer deals to be allowed to post lol

LOL!!!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would check and make sure that the membrane in the oil filter and the rubber is compatible with coolant. The wix coolant filters aren’t too bad if you get them from amazon.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Hey thanks! I was actually able to find both parts cheap-ish. Considering its stainless, really good deals. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008RZV28E?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf -cone

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/112541724337-elbow. This elbow is the nicest peice of stainless anything I've ever seen. It was a shame I had to cut ~2.75 inches off one end so the hood would clear.

The FL-A1 filter is a concept I got from a member on FTE. It's an oil filter but we use it for coolant filtration. At $6/ea they are super cheap and work better than a coolant filter really needs to. Only problem is they restrict the heat into the cab a bit-- one guy said just change the block supply fitting for a standard type NPT/barb and the flow comes back. That's a mod I may do tomorrow, now that i finally have this other stuff buttoned down. (The stock heater hose fitting from the block has a nylon insert to slow down the flow into the heater core)

Thanks Josh for the links. Found some stainless as well as aluminum reducers & ells thru your links. When I do my intercooler kit I may make use of this. As well as I got to figure out a fresh air filter set-up also.

As far as a coolant filter set-up, I have a Fleetguard WF 2071 filter (with DCA4) set-up down on my frame, set up as a by-pass filter. It's plumbed in (by-pass) with all my extra coolant/heater hose stuff I have routed for my tank heaters & extra filters for my WMO/WVO fuel set-up I built.

Yrs ago when I first added my WF 2071 filter I plumbed it in inline with my heater.....& of course I did it on the coldest day of the yr!!! & of course the heater didn't work because of the restricted filter. Ran round cold for a week till I redid it to by-pass.

(I learn something new EVERYDAY!!!.....since I plan on living till 150 can you imagine what a smart-old creature I'm gonn'a be?? LOL)

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I got fuel/oil rated 1" hose from a hydraulic supply shop. It is a little pricier than heater hose, but it won't get all spongy and start seeping oil every where. I ran the hose from the CDR on the valve cover to a home built catch can and then to a 1" 90* elbow on the intake. I shaved the internal part of the elbow to 45* so the incoming air would help pull.

Torinojts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get oil rated hose from a semi tractor repair shop. It is used for a return on power steering systems. Just ask for a chunk of power steering return hose. Fairly cheap as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online