Aftermarket air filter-- how best to route CDR gasses?

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey OBN'ers! I recently went with a BHAF after much deliberation and trying to make the stock turbo filter work with my charge air cooler:
You must be registered for see images attach

But I can't find a good way to get an oil rated 1" hose for the CDR. NAPA apparently cant get it at all, biggest is 3/4".
AND, once I get one, what's the best way to plumb it back into my intake? It's a 3"aluminim tube from BHAF to the turbo intake.

A road draft tube is not an option for me.
Thanks!
-Joshua

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look at how I installed my CDR in my Turbo Tale thread. Very happy with the results. Basically it borrows the Banks style. I removed my vacuum pump and that freed up a nice spot for the CDR; I don't see a vacuum pump on your truck so my style would work perfect for you too.

I forget the hose spec I used but I think it is readily available as a low pressure fuel hose. Meh, it's only motor oil!

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used the Banks adapter and hose an routed it the hose to the CDR I mounted to the intake tube. I don't have a great picture, but this one shows where the CDR is mounted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look at how I installed my CDR in my Turbo Tale thread. Very happy with the results. Basically it borrows the Banks style. I removed my vacuum pump and that freed up a nice spot for the CDR; I don't see a vacuum pump on your truck so my style would work perfect for you too.

I forget the hose spec I used but I think it is readily available as a low pressure fuel hose. Meh, it's only motor oil!
I've seen that thread but I dont understand where the crankcase gasses get from the crankcase into the intake. Maybe I missed the post or something...

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen that thread but I dont understand where the crankcase gasses get from the crankcase into the intake. Maybe I missed the post or something...

Looks like his airbox has a pipe nipple on it. (Picture shamelessly stolen from his thread)

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh ok thanks that's the missing part to my mental puzzle.

My vac pump is down in the stock v-belt location, being up top is the serpentine setup I believe.

I have the turbo valve cover so its already run over there, and again with my charge air cooler I can't use the stock airbox so it's all fab-fit stuff.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my intake kits, I use the vibrant equivalent of this for the cdr routing:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Russell-63...h=item3b18be60ff:g:wA8AAOSwgStbddhJ:rk:3:pf:0

I weld a bung in for 1" bard fitting into the pipe, not really a good alternative than that.

Thanks for the reply, good lord that stuff is $12/ft! Haha I guess I should expect such a big hose to cost a bundle.

Too bad I cant weld aluminum... but I guess in this case JB weld would be plenty good enough, eh?

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, good lord that stuff is $12/ft! Haha I guess I should expect such a big hose to cost a bundle.

Too bad I cant weld aluminum... but I guess in this case JB weld would be plenty good enough, eh?

I bet you could talk to a local welding shop I bet they wouldn't change but 20 bucks it's less than 20 min work

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW, standard 1" "heater hose" will work fine for CDR. It's not "fuel rated", and will get a bit rubbery after a while, but will still last for years.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On this topic...I pulled my fabbed intake hat today to finish up some smaller things and it was covered in oil on the inside. But my CDR has been running to atmosphere through a breather. Is this just residue from the CAC piping?

I've probably put 2,000 miles since the CAC install but only 200 with the CDR going to atmosphere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online