Advanced timing or?????

dyoungen

Reaction score
I replaced the Injection Pump on my truck a 1987 F250 with a 6.9 N/A Diesel. I put the timing mark on the new IP at the same place as the one I pulled off. I didn't put it on the mark on the gear cover, slightely to the drivers side. Ever since it seems like there is always a rattle I almost never heard before. Once in a while it would rattle but not as much as it does now. Even at idle it rattles a little. I'm thinking the timing is advanced. Looking at the IP from the front of the truck would I need to turn the pump towards the left/passengers side or the right/drivers side? Also I was told to get with "Icanfixall" as he has what it takes thatI might need to set the timing.

Black dawg

Reaction score
your old pump could have been/probably was retarded. If you are not familiar with how these sound, better get set up with the timing tools.

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rather than "guess" on your timing, contact Icanfixall to rent one of his meters and be sure of where it is set. Those marks are for factory reference. The aren't much help when changing the pump out.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Done and gave some helpful information on the rental program. Thanks for the references guys.

dyoungen

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I've been in contact with him and when I get back in December I"ll look him up. To late to get together as I'm leaving the 14th July.