adjustable steering stops failed

broncobilly_69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I tried screwing the bolts on the knuckles that serve as a steering limit stop in all the way and had the girlfriend turn the wheel all the way while I watched to make sure nothing was hitting. I don't think the wheels turned any farther than when the bolts were in place. It appears that steering box in our trucks doesn't allow the wheels to turn any farther. Also looked like if it did turn any farther the pitman arm would hit the brackets for the TTB. So it looks like if we want a tighter turning radious we need a longer pitman arm. Altough this would put more stress on the steering box. Has anybody tried a longer a pitman arm?

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
isn't it also limited by the internals of the steering gear box? I know i've read in manuals were it says not to turn the wheels all the way and hold it there for too long, as it would damage the gear. *shrug*

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Naa, turning and holding the steering is just ******* the steering pump because it is forced to put out max pressure. The gears don't care.

I don't see a problem installing a slightly longer pitman arm if you can find one that works right. The "stress" would be no different than installing a box with a slightly quicker ratio inside.

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
The stops are there to protect the internals of the steering box. If you get cranking on the wheel and hit the stop in the stering gear repeatedly it will die.
Ken

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On "most" steering boxes the is a relief valve that relives the pressure in the box when it reaches the end of the travel so as not to blow the seals and hoses. True it is not good to hold the steering wheel at the extreme end, it will not kill the box or pump, but all you have to do is just rock the wheel back a degree or two and it will not hurt the steering box.

Jim