Adding an inline fuel/water seperator.

surfib

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The filter I picked up is the 1293-sps which is the Cummins 3406889 or the Fleet Guard FS1003.

http://catalog.baldwinfilter.com/Pa...y.asp?URL=PartEntry.asp&partnumber=BF1293-SPS

http://www.baldwinfilter.com/literature/english/2 PurePerformance/Form446.pdf

I found the list of filters that fit that filter head, I think I might go with the BF7558, its a little shorter, doesn't have the sensor, and it's an extended life version.

Baldwin has the list price on the BF1293-sps for $89.83 so it's not the cheap alternative, I just got the hook up... I also think becuase it has the sensor on it it adds to the price. I'd be willing to become a dealer through my company if guys on the board were interested, I'd tack on 10% of whatever I buy them for just to make up my time.

I don't think the 7558 is going to be usable for me, it doesn't have a drain plug so it is just a fuel filter, not a fuel/water seperator.

Information overload!

surfib

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not necessarily so.

There are many water-separating filters that are solid-bottom and have no provision to drain.

Besides, I have been checking water-separaters for years and haven't hardly found a thimblefull of water yet.
:)

The only issue I have is I travel to Mexico, and I can't even count how many times I've been told that some stations offer 50% diesel 50% water! HA!

3/4 Ton-O-Fun

90F250 na7.3IDI 4x4
Reaction score
I lived in Quintana Roo for a while and only had problems right after hurricane Emily when I decided to go for a beer run to a city that had started selling alcohol again. Seems a Cat 3 and real flooding got a bit of water in the holding tanks.

If you want to really go all out, slap a racor 900 or 1000 to the firewall or wherever you can fit it. Those filters are trick. The top unscrews so you can change the element without dumping all the fuel. The elements are cheap-ish, too. Big clear bowl to inspect fuel. Real nice.

The capacity is so big you could hook up another pump and some creative valving and polish your fuel. Well equipped boats are rigged that way.

surfib

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I lived in Quintana Roo for a while and only had problems right after hurricane Emily when I decided to go for a beer run to a city that had started selling alcohol again. Seems a Cat 3 and real flooding got a bit of water in the holding tanks.

If you want to really go all out, slap a racor 900 or 1000 to the firewall or wherever you can fit it. Those filters are trick. The top unscrews so you can change the element without dumping all the fuel. The elements are cheap-ish, too. Big clear bowl to inspect fuel. Real nice.

The capacity is so big you could hook up another pump and some creative valving and polish your fuel. Well equipped boats are rigged that way.

I thought about a Racor, but when I found these parts, and the probability of getting parts in Mexico, and only spending $57 dollars so far, it's hard to complain...

gatorman21218

Reaction score
If you are adding a filter to avoid changing the oem filter because they are so expensive, then you need to find a better source. I bought a dozen IH brand filters at 9 bucks a piece at http://www.filterbarn.com/ . The parts stores want 25 bucks a piece.

surfib

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are adding a filter to avoid changing the oem filter because they are so expensive, then you need to find a better source. I bought a dozen IH brand filters at 9 bucks a piece at http://www.filterbarn.com/ . The parts stores want 25 bucks a piece.

I like the site, definately good prices.

I am looking for additional filtration. As far as I can tell, right now I have a 6.9 filter head mounted in my stock location only using a fuel filter, no water seperator.

I'm looking to add a water seperator for piece of mind while down in Mexico. My pump rebuilder really stressed having one since that is where my truck spends most of its time. I've put 20k miles on it since I bought it in '06 and I'd say 15k are Mexico miles.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Then what you want is a goldenrod filter. Something to catch the big stuff but mainly to seperate the water. You dont want to plumb in a .5 micron filter as that will probably cause too much restriction.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Then what you want is a goldenrod filter. Something to catch the big stuff but mainly to seperate the water. You dont want to plumb in a .5 micron filter as that will probably cause too much restriction.

X2 on both of what he already said.

Those Mexican people drive more diesel trucks that we do.

I don't believe they would stand for crappy fuel down there any more than we would here.

I believe most of the fairy-tales about their fuel stems from the antiqueyness and old-timeyness of many of their fuel-stations, which are like ours were thirty years ago, with gravel parking lots and such.
:)

gatorman21218

Reaction score
I guess it all depend on where you shop for fuel. In an unknown area I would stick to places that are busy, and not necessarily cheap either. 85% of the time I will pump a gallon and sniff the nozzle. Why? because diesel smells a lot different then gas. Also avoid going to stations with a delivery truck parked outside. give that fuel time to settle in the underground tanks.

Also, whatever fuel filtration system you decide on, make it:
1- easy to service. A .01 micron filter inside the tank is NOT easy to service.
2- carry spares. I carry at least one spare in my truck. Remember, a fuel filter can last 10,000 miles or 10 miles. It all depends on how much crud is in the fuel. Like a chain saw - can cut up a whole tree or you can cut one branch, bury it in the dirt and then it couldnt cut butter on a summer day.
3- consider mounting 2 or more filters in "parallel". And have only one running at a time. So if filter "A" gets clogged up, you can switch to filter "B" and roll on to a more convenient or safer place to change the filter.
4- get a good gauge(s) to monitor the filters. I have two gauges, because I just have the one filter; mounted before and after the filter head. It is a sure way to diagnose the problem. If the prefilter gauge is reading 4 psi and the after is reading 2, I know its about time for a new filter. If both gauges are reading one psi, I know that either I am sucking air or the lift pump has gone. Some gauges like racor have vacuum gauges on them to keep tabs on the filter.

If you are really that concerned, then I would buy a 100 gallon reserve tank. I would fill up that tank with fuel from a truck stop. In mexico I would use only the factory tanks and then If you had a big problem with contaminated fuel (such as you got semi-gloss rustoleum primer instead of diesel), You could change the filters and use the good ol USLD to get home.

In actuality the mexican fuel is probably high sulfer, so the old girl will run 10 times better. I would go to mexico just to buy the fuel.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I have a Fram G2S fuel filter on my frame rail just for kicks, I replace it every time I change my fuel filter. It costs very little, I know it aint a great setup but its better than nothing and its easy and quick to install.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess it all depend on where you shop for fuel. In an unknown area I would stick to places that are busy, and not necessarily cheap either. 85% of the time I will pump a gallon and sniff the nozzle. Why? because diesel smells a lot different then gas. Also avoid going to stations with a delivery truck parked outside. give that fuel time to settle in the underground tanks.

2- carry spares. I carry at least one spare in my truck. Remember, a fuel filter can last 10,000 miles or 10 miles. It all depends on how much crud is in the fuel. Like a chain saw - can cut up a whole tree or you can cut one branch, bury it in the dirt and then it couldnt cut butter on a summer day.
3- consider mounting 2 or more filters in "parallel". And have only one running at a time. So if filter "A" gets clogged up, you can switch to filter "B" and roll on to a more convenient or safer place to change the filter.
4- get a good gauge(s) to monitor the filters. I have two gauges, because I just have the one filter; mounted before and after the filter head. It is a sure way to diagnose the problem. If the prefilter gauge is reading 4 psi and the after is reading 2, I know its about time for a new filter. If both gauges are reading one psi, I know that either I am sucking air or the lift pump has gone. Some gauges like racor have vacuum gauges on them to keep tabs on the filter.

If you are really that concerned, then I would buy a 100 gallon reserve tank. I would fill up that tank with fuel from a truck stop. In mexico I would use only the factory tanks and then If you had a big problem with contaminated fuel (such as you got semi-gloss rustoleum primer instead of diesel), You could change the filters and use the good ol USLD to get home.

In actuality the mexican fuel is probably high sulfer, so the old girl will run 10 times better. I would go to mexico just to buy the fuel.

That gator guy is on a roll.;Sweet

I especially like the advice about the parallel filters and have considered doing such on my own trucks, especially the wife's.

It would sure be a lot handier for her to switch a valve than for me to have to drop and run to who only knows where to diagnose and rescue her.
LOL

gatorman21218

Reaction score
That gator guy is on a roll.;Sweet

I especially like the advice about the parallel filters and have considered doing such on my own trucks, especially the wife's.

It would sure be a lot handier for her to switch a valve than for me to have to drop and run to who only knows where to diagnose and rescue her.
LOL

;Sweet

I got the idea from the boating magazines. In fact a few years ago when we had our big boat, we got into some rough seas going across the potomac river and actually lost an engine. turns out the filter had clogged presumeably from junk being churned up in the tank, restricting fuel flow. And the Good Lord knows a Detroit 671T rated at 450HP needs a good bit of fuel. 12 gallons an hours worth each at 13 knots:eek:. That was back when red diesel was 99 cents a gallon though. Dad sold the boat before it hit 4.50 a gallon. a smart move, although the sound of a detroit diesel makes my pants wet:eek::D

surfib

Full Access Member
Reaction score

In Mexico, the prices are controlled by the government, actually, the gas stations(Pemex) are governed by the governent but owned by franchisers. So for me price isn't the determining factor.

I try to always go to the busy stations, but when you are 100 miles from the closest station in the middle nowhere on some adventure, the guy with the 50 gallon drum of fuel is the only option!

From what I have going in my head:

1. A water/fuel seperator down line from the lift pump on the motor, location still being located! Right now I'm sitting on a Cummins filter head and a Cummins Fuel/water seperator.

2. The fuel filter on the motor(My 7.3 has a 6.9 head which after hours of searching, only has a fuel filter available for it, no seperator.

3. I have spares of each already purchased and in my box o' goodies in my camper. I know also have an extra lift pump and pretty soon an injector pump.)

4. Was considering a fuel pressure gauge, where should I put it to give me the best indication of a fuel problem?[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately I have a pop up camper on the truck full time so that's a no go. Was considering purchasing the tanks that fit in the wheel well.

From what I've heard, they are between 300-500 parts per million.. Since I bought the truck in 06, it's probably only seen about 8k worth of U.S. fuel in the 20k I've driven it.

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After doing a little more investigating, the filter is for a 6.9, but my motor is without a doubt a 7.3. Is the filter head interchangeable between the two motors??

The filter head you are showing in another post is a 6.9 filter head. what year truck do you have? If it is 86 and older it should have a water seperator on the driverside firewall. If it is 87 and up (with a 7.3) with a 6.9 filterhead then you are running without any water separator at all:eek:. Yes the filter heads interchange I usually put a 7.3 filterhead (w/ filter and water separator all-in-one) on my 6.9's to use the 7.3 filter/separator and then bypass the firewall mounted water separator.

surfib

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The filter head you are showing in another post is a 6.9 filter head. what year truck do you have? If it is 86 and older it should have a water seperator on the driverside firewall. If it is 87 and up (with a 7.3) with a 6.9 filterhead then you are running without any water separator at all:eek:. Yes the filter heads interchange I usually put a 7.3 filterhead (w/ filter and water separator all-in-one) on my 6.9's to use the 7.3 filter/separator and then bypass the firewall mounted water separator.

I have a 92, found an junkyard 7.3 filter head but they wanted $65 bucks which seemed steep for a used one...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online