Adding an inline fuel/water seperator.

surfib

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While talking to the guy who is rebuilding my pump and injectors, he reccomended adding an inline fuel/water seperator downline on the frame rail to help out since I go to Mexico a lot and I've heard it too many times to count that all Mexican diesel has tons of water in it.

For a little background on where I am at:

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f30/tackling-pump-injectors-any-tips-288177/

So I did a search here and got too many results that weren't related so i figure I'd ask.

I picked up a baldwin filter head:

http://www.go2marine.com/category.do?no=13756

And this filter:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/BALDWIN-FILTERS-Fuel-Filter-4ZPZ3

It's a cummins diesel fuel seperator filter and I know a few Cummins dealerships around Baja so I know I can get it if I need it pretty easily. Also the filter head is a stock Cummins diesel filter head and I'm sure I could find a filter to fit in a pinch.

I got them for super cheap since my buddy works at a heavy truck parts distribution warehouse.

Looking from my tanks to the mechanical pump, there isn't much room. Any ideas on location would be helpful.

Also, picked up a BF1222 filter which won't fit my truck even though Baldwin said it would. Can't return it and baldwin says it replaces this filter: Ford E8TZ-9N184-A Anyone interested in it? Picked it up for $22 bucks Willing to let it go for $20 shipped! It's brand new, put new diesel in it to install and found out it won't fit!

Mine uses the BF786 after cross referencing the Wix filter I had on there.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
The correct Baldwin filter for your truck would have been the BF-1222SP . . It has the port for the water sensor on your truck ( that's what the SP stands for, sensor Port ) It comes tapped with the hole and a new oring to put on the sensor and you swap out the sensor from your old filter. THe 1222 will work but you loose the water sensor
It feels like the filter doesn't fit because you have to push those suckers up on that nipple hard while turning, there is a rubber seal up inside there that prevents unfiltered fuel from making it around the threads. I really like the Baldwin filters for that. They are a royal pain to get on, but your chances of any unfiltered fuel making it to your IP are pretty slim with those filters.

Plus make sure that you have not left any existing orings around the nipple from an old filter before installing a new one. Stacking orings during filter changes is a leading cause of air leaks

surfib

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No doubt about its fitment, it doesn't fit. The threaded part on my filter head is too small and the flange itself is to small to make a seal with the oring on the filter.

I'll take pictures later to give you a better idea.

The WIX filter 33811 I had on there cross referenced to the BF786, which says its for Ford and International motors.

surfib

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After doing a little more investigating, the filter is for a 6.9, but my motor is without a doubt a 7.3. Is the filter head interchangeable between the two motors??

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
Looking from my tanks to the mechanical pump, there isn't much room. Any ideas on location would be helpful.

I have always managed to find a place on the driver-side frame rail under the cab or bed. It depends on how tall the w/s is and how it mounts. I put my old Vormax on the rail right at the cab-bed joint, which enabled me to see the built-in restriction gauge from the side. With my Racor FG that mounting position was a little awkward (as lindstromjd could show you...LOL). Plus, on the frame you're at the lowest point on the truck which can't hurt when separating stuff that's heavier than fuel, right?

After doing a little more investigating, the filter is for a 6.9, but my motor is without a doubt a 7.3. Is the filter head interchangeable between the two motors??

The 6.9 version doesn't have a heater or restriction sensor, but other than that pretty sure yeah.

surfib

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have always managed to find a place on the driver-side frame rail under the cab or bed. It depends on how tall the w/s is and how it mounts. I put my old Vormax on the rail right at the cab-bed joint, which enabled me to see the built-in restriction gauge from the side. With my Racor FG that mounting position was a little awkward (as lindstromjd could show you...LOL). Plus, on the frame you're at the lowest point on the truck which can't hurt when separating stuff that's heavier than fuel, right?

I have dual tanks, so I think I have to go after the fuel selector switch right?

Is it ok to cut the metal lines and tie in with rubber hose?

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
I have dual tanks, so I think I have to go after the fuel selector switch right?

Is it ok to cut the metal lines and tie in with rubber hose?

Yes, and yes (flaring them out a bit will help the hoses stay on, but no sharp edges!)

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Whats the micron rating on that baldwin?

I been thinking about doing away with the factory filter head and fabbing up an aftermarket one with cheaper filters like what your doing.

surfib

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whats the micron rating on that baldwin?

I been thinking about doing away with the factory filter head and fabbing up an aftermarket one with cheaper filters like what your doing.

The filter I picked up is the 1293-sps which is the Cummins 3406889 or the Fleet Guard FS1003.

http://catalog.baldwinfilter.com/Pa...y.asp?URL=PartEntry.asp&partnumber=BF1293-SPS

http://www.baldwinfilter.com/literature/english/2 PurePerformance/Form446.pdf

I found the list of filters that fit that filter head, I think I might go with the BF7558, its a little shorter, doesn't have the sensor, and it's an extended life version.

Baldwin has the list price on the BF1293-sps for $89.83 so it's not the cheap alternative, I just got the hook up... I also think becuase it has the sensor on it it adds to the price. I'd be willing to become a dealer through my company if guys on the board were interested, I'd tack on 10% of whatever I buy them for just to make up my time.

surfib

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Engine mounted filter head

See attached photos

Attachments

• IMG_0702.jpg
    IMG_0702.jpg
    553.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0703.jpg
    IMG_0703.jpg
    505.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0704.jpg
    IMG_0704.jpg
    645.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0705.jpg
    IMG_0705.jpg
    403.7 KB · Views: 14

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
I dont know the sizes, but the 7.3L uses a filter with a larger thread than the 6.9L. That's why it wont fit. :)

I'll be following this cause with my new fuel i might want a water filter...

surfib

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont know the sizes, but the 7.3L uses a filter with a larger thread than the 6.9L. That's why it wont fit. :)

I'll be following this cause with my new fuel i might want a water filter...

I'll be doing a big write up and I'll make sure to take tons of pictures!

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
>>> GOLDENROD <<<

surfib,

The best pre-filter/sediment-bowl I have ever used is a GoldenRod.

The beauty of these is that they have a removable DEEP-BOTTOM see-thru sediment-bowl, complete with a drain-****.

The sediment-bowl can be drained, removed, rinsed, and replaced, without disturbing the water-separating filter cartridge, and without spending a cent to do so.

I have had one on my truck for several years and highly recommend them especially for anyone who might be running questionable fuel.

They will soon pay for themselves in preventing the main fuel-filter from plugging.
;Sweet

surfib

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just learned something from another post. From my understanding, the filter I have on my truck now is just a fuel filter, not a fuel/water separator. It doesn't have a drain plug.

So I think I've been alowing water to run through my pump and injectors this whole time...

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just learned something from another post. From my understanding, the filter I have on my truck now is just a fuel filter, not a fuel/water separator. It doesn't have a drain plug.

So I think I've been alowing water to run through my pump and injectors this whole time...

Not necessarily so.

There are many water-separating filters that are solid-bottom and have no provision to drain.

Besides, I have been checking water-separaters for years and haven't hardly found a thimblefull of water yet.
:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online