AC Condenser

Sorro71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's warming up over here and I would like to get my AC up and going, it's never worked since I bought the truck. I'm changing it over to 134a. So far I've got a new compressor, evaporator & hoses. Is there a particular brand of condenser and accumulator dryer that has better results with134a on these trucks. Any advice on where I could purchase it from would be most appreciated.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know if there's a better condenser out there (I'll be following this thread because I intend to do the same thing), but FYI, Ford started using R-134a from the factory in 1994. When they did this, they redesigned the condenser, and I believe they redesigned the evaporator also (different part numbers, although I haven't seen an R-134a evaporator with my own eyes). The new condenser is optimized for R-134a...so, if you stick with OEM, I would find a condenser for a '95 or '96 truck.

Just FYI ;Sweet

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I was able to get 34*F Vent temps with my stock setup, with a variable orifice valve, and R143a. That was on low speed. High speed fan the vent temp was around 36-37*F. It cooled the cab so much, that the humidity (back in East Texas, 90% Humidity and 90*F) fogged up the outside glass while driving!

Moral of the story, the stock setup should be fine when converted to R134a.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The stock condenser works well. A paralell flow one is better but may not be necessary. I cant tell you if the 94 condenser will work as most r134a systems use metric threads

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the condenser out of a 95 / 96 truck will fit the 87?
It'll bolt into the same spot, but I defer to @chris142 on the differences in threads. However, if you're replacing all of the hoses as well (IMHO a good idea with a freon swap), if you get hoses meant for the same model year, I think you'll be okay. There may be an issue with attaching the hoses to the compressor, though...I'm honestly not sure either way.

Sorro71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the great info. The condenser in it at the moment is the old 3/8 tube, so replacing it with the later piccolo design certainly won't hurt. I'll do some research on the connections. The system I have on the truck is what ford called a factory manual system. Will an 88 accumulator/ drier be ok to use.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any ac shop can make the hoses. Do not reuse the accumulater

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any ac shop can make the hoses. Do not reuse the accumulater
X2 on that, especially on not reusing the accumulator. It contains a desiccant (hence it's other name, "dryer"), and once you open the system up, any humidity in the air will ruin it. It's meant to be replaced any time the air conditioning system is opened up.

If you replace the hoses and use an accumulator/dryer (along with hoses) from the same year as the new condenser, I don't think you'll need to do any custom work...actually, if you replace everything in the system except the compressor, you should only need to do any customizations at the connections to the compressor ;Sweet

Sorro71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks for that. I've purchased a parallel flow condenser for a 95 model from JCWhitney and a new accumulator drier from rock auto to fit my 88 evaporator. It's new so I'm not going to change it over now. I called in to the AC shop I'm going to use to gas it up and they will make the hoses to suit;Sweet. It'll be a couple of weeks now till I get the stuff here so I'm not sure if I'll get back to it before Xmas. Again thanks for the advice I'll update when I start fitting it together.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828