A stupid question...

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On my new (to me) engine that I haven't swapped yet, I found a block drain on each side and they look like square threaded plugs...

Will I have any problems if I take them off for a through flushing with water? I mean do I use Teflon tape, thread sealant or torque them back in plain?

I have also heard of installing some kind of spigot in the place of the plugs... Where can I get them and how do I install then? With Teflon, thread sealant or plain?

Thank you all fellow Boobs, you guys who are generous with the knowledge gained, make this my favorite place for help and information...

Oil Burners rocks!

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Those are the block drain for coolant.

I suppose you can use some sort of valve there. But my opinion on those (along with the oil drain ones) is that they might vibrate loose or break off or somehow dump their contents at an inopportune time. Its easy enough to undo the plug.

I wouldn't use teflon tape on anything truck related. Thread sealant scares me because it seems to have a lot of grit in it and who knows what dissolves it.

I use loctite 515 to seal threads. It is an anaerobic sealant which means it cures when it is sealed from air (like regular loctite). I got a little tube with my gasket kit and it works great.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The block coolant drains you speak of are not too easy to remove. As for the replacement drains just get the 1/4 inch national pipe thread radiater drains and install them on the block. Get the ones with a little nipple on the srain side and you can use a short piece of hose to make sure everything drains into a bucket. BTW these are called okiegringo block drains. We had a member here long ago who posted this for us. He lived in Mexico at the time but moved north back to the US. As for sealing the threads I suggest some rtv or avaition cement made by permatex.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online