A few more questions...things I found while checking glow plugs...

Lithgow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While checking the glow plugs on my new to me 94 F250 I noticed that the pyro gauge sensor is mounted just behind the turbo. Shouldn't this be mounted in the exhaust manifold? Is it worth relocating the sensor to get more accurate readings? Also, I discovered that it has a K&n air filter. Some guys say to avoid the k&n filter, that too much dust can get through. Better to stick with original design air filters? I want the best air filter fot the dusty environment here.
I also need valve cover gaskets. Any recommendations on best one?

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the pyro probe should definitely be in the manifold. I put mine in my passenger side manifold since I could access it from inside the wheelwell.

The K&N lets in a lot of fine dust. On mine I had made a custom intake for it, ran a K&N for awhile then switched to a synthetic media cone filter (can't remember the brand now...I have an AFE on my Mustang though), they filter much better.

RavenTBK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the pyro is on the outlet of the turbo? That'd result in readings being 200-400 degrees lower than what you'd see in the manifold. As long as you're aware of that fact, its no problem to leave it there. Just do the math in your head when you peek at the reading.

As for the filters, I have no real opinion other than in my cases, the paper elements work just fine and flow more air than the engine can swallow anyways, so why switch to something with bigger holes that could theoretically let in more dust?

Gaskets you're on your own. I use felpro from any chain parts store.