A/C RECIRCULATION QUESTIONS

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, it is my understanding that "NORM" A/C is drawing hot outside air from the cowl, through the evaporator, and then into the cab.

"MAX" A/C closes a vacuum-operated door and then re-circulates the in-cab air through the evaporator and back into the cab.

My question is --- from where inside the cab is this air entering the blower stream ??

Also, I discovered that my little vacuum-operated gizmo, located under the hood, just above the blower housing, was just barely moving, maybe 1/8" travel, when MAX A/C was selected.

I plugged the line, removed the vacuum-solenoid, and zip-tied the door handle in what I think/hope is the CLOSED position; that is, with the operating-rod/handle pulled against the solenoid mounting surface.

As best I could tell, when I selected MAX A/C, the solenoid was trying to pull inward, and when OFF or NORM were selected, the solenoid rod extended; is this correct ??

There is nothing wrong with the amount of vacuum on that line; the problem is with the solenoid itself.

Thanks.

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes the vacuum servo does pull in when vacuum is applied, and when set to max ac it pulls "cool" air from the floor vents and cools it more then sends it out the dash vents

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes the vacuum servo does pull in when vacuum is applied, and when set to max ac it pulls "cool" air from the floor vents and cools it more then sends it out the dash vents

So it is sucking air IN through the center-hump vent where heat blows OUT when the heater is ON, right ??

Also, thanks for verifying the vacuum-solenoid action.

Dave Barbieri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look under the glove compartment on the passenger side firewall. You'll see the intake for your blower motor. To help find it, turn on your fan. You'll easily hear the noise and feel the air flow.