A/C ORIFICE LOCATION

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

1990 F250 pictured in my avatar.

Ok.... so I've taken off every hose and looked in every "orifice" to locate the orifice.... WTH? I know, I know... high side. Is it the glue or did these not come with and orifice? System all original, tearing it out for new cheapo. Have all the flushes, PAG, new drier, compressor etc....

I'm the lamest A/C guy, first time doing it, so type slowly so I can understand.

Thks

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's in the small hose joint at the evaporator. It's where it flares out. They can be hard to remove.

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks T4,

I went out and checked again, neither the input not output side of the evap has it.

I did find some very mild rust in the low side going into the compressor hose though. You think this is why the compressor locked up... and it wasn't the clutch-checked that first.

I can do photo's in the morning, but no fittings have anything in them. Not stainless or rubber hose fittings.

Thanks

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
It is supposed to be in the small hose that comes off the front condenser and is found in the connection near the cab condenser like typ4 posted. Run a piece of wire down into the line and see if it feels anything. If you pressurize the line trying to push it back thru the small tube you may get it to blow out but be careful. It can take your eye put because its screaming like a 22 caliber bullet depending on the pressure and volume you have built up in the cab condenser. Some rags and plywood and stand to the side is my suggestion

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^ I agree with what he said! Be very careful if you try to blow it out...

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hoooooookaaaaaay nooow.....

Remember how I asked to type slowly so I could understand? LOLOL!!

SO! It goes like this.... I'm a nuts and bolts kind of idiot, not really anything I do in the marine industry has anything to do with a FREAKING SLIDE CLIP DETACHER THINGY!!!! And yes, apparently that flying saucer looking bulge in the middle of the line isn't just for looks. I happened to find some u-tewb character using that tool and viola.... a frikkin' orifice presented itself. Well, that was a 34 mile round trip to buy a "SPECIAL" tool....what do you know..... there it is.... the orifice waaaaay down that hole, out of reach of all but a long pick that I had to modify the tip into a real narrow hook. I hooked through the filter element and yanked it up. Success!!

Plugged to the hilt and my flush produced some nice particulate as well. The fluid was dark brown....now clear.

I'm a bit nervous though. Is there an aftermarket in line filter that can be added to help protect the system, besides that little **** orifice?

Thanks again for your help.....I'll ask for pictures with notes in crayon net time....

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One last question.

I got 6oz of PAG oil with the kit.... where/how is this stuff filled into the system?

TH

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whats the r12 capacity? The oil can be put anywhere as it moves with the refrigerant.you need 3.5oz of oil per pound of r134a. So a 2lb system would need 7oz.

R134 capacity is 85% of the r12 capacity.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely try to get some oil in the compressor. Most of the compressors Ford used will accept some oil directly in their ports. If someone has a factory manual it will say how much oil it takes and how much the system holds altogether.

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got 6oz of PAG oil with the kit

Somebody correct me if I'm mistaken, but PAG oil is only for R134a systems, which is fine if you're converting your system to R134a (or if it already was converted). But if it's the factory R12 still, it needs ester oil, not PAG.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Correct.
But also it wasn't mentioned if he was using r12 or r134. And no one asked.
I would guess r134 since it's easier to obtain.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Anyone with an online license can purchase R12 on ebay anytime. Thats how I got my 45 lbs in the 1 lb cans some time back.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
^ Correct. But a lot of people don't know that. They don't even know r12 exist anymore. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We still buy it from pep boys.they special order it.i find it @ yard sales ocasionally.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online