99 PSD stalling problems

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Dads truck is a 99 F-350 w/ 110K miles. After sitting outside overnight SOMETIMES it will have an extended crank time, smoke white, run for about 5 min or so then stall out. It ALLWAYS starts right back up and runs fine the rest of the day. He put new batteries and an alternator on it recently and changed the fuel filter and he still has this problem. I put the scanner on it once and didnt find any codes but he says the engine light come on sometimes. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the SES light is coming on it has to set a code. The extended crak time and white smoke could be attributed to a bad glow plug relay or one or more faulty glow plugs. The stalling out after running for several minutes is a bit puzzling to me. It may be a CPS beginning to head south on him. And, a faulty CPS will not always leave a code. What type of scan tool are you using?

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Snap-on scanner that will retrieve some info but I have not had a chance to look at the truck lately. I know it needs glow plugs, but I wouldnt think that would cause it to stall after it has ran for awhile. One more thing I thought of... the day that I listened to it start, it had a whineing noise from the front of the engine, possibly high pressure pump area? It went away when the truck started to run better. Is there any way to check the pump?
I also thought of a calibration, is there a revised cal. out there for this year?

I will look at it this week, along with my brothers Saturn, and my friends 90 IDI. :rolleyes: It never ends.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depending on your recent morning temps, a whine from the HPOP is pretty common also. Its a hydraulic pump trying to move something the consistancy of molasses, as the oil warms and the viscosity goes down the pump will quiet down. Im sure the 99 model year has had at least one or more re-flashes available for the PCM, but I wouldnt think that is your problem either unless the truck has been doing this from day one. We'll know more once you get the codes pulled.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tried to get codes from ECM, nothing is stored, truck is fine if it sits inside overnight, but if its outside for more than a few hours, it starts then stalls in a few yards. Today it didnt stall, but the O/D off light started blinkin, but didnt set any codes. I shut it off and restarted and its been fine all day.
I guess I will have to go and talk to the Ford diesel tech this comming week.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
None of this makes much sense to me. SES light = set code. Blinking OD light = set code. Begining to wonder if you dont have an issue with the PCM itself.