96 7.3 shutting down one bank?

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a call from a friend of mine today, wanted me to check out his truck, he thought he might have a sticking injector or something along that line, had a miss and no power, he had been able to make it go away by holding it on the mat, then it'd be fine for a week or maybe a couple days, but, yesterday it started doing it and wouldn't clear up.

I'm a bit rusty with 7.3's(been 4 years since I've had one,) so here's what I did.
We fired the truck up, was cold, hadn't run in a day, ran fine for about 5 minutes, no CEL, and no codes. After about 5 minutes of running, the entire pass side dropped out(verified by unplugging the VC connectors.) The CEL did come on, but, it never did throw any codes.
I checked the harness and all the connectors, found nothing out of order. I didn't have my meter with me, so I didn't check for signal to the injectors or test any sensors.
He has another 96 truck(5 speed though) so, I tried swapping the IDM for a known good one, no change.
Where should I go from here?

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
just to clearify you pulled the calve cover and checked the connections on the inside cause it sure sounds like valve cover harness has a burnt connection

96_Bear

Shane
Reaction score
I lost an inside wire harness on mine on the driver side the back connector took out the whole bank I had to replace the VC gasket and the one inner harness because of how it arc over and burnt up the connector. Lets say that a 65 mph and 15lbs of boost on a 40 mile drive can eat some fuel up.LOL But I do believe it may have something to do with the inside wire harness.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
I'm with the Bear...just visually checking from the outside won't show much....here's one of mine that "looked good" from the outside {and ran like chit} !

You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726