96 12v down to the block

twofazed

Reaction score
In the process of fully rebuidling/remachining the whole motor. Right now it's getting machined. I am normally posting in the conversion forum. But looking for some quick advice. Anything I should be doing/ordering while I have it torn right down. It will be having stock replacement pistons/rings/bearings etc. But I was thinking about heavier studs and KDP, and then I don't know..... what should I do and why?

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
these engine at pretty stout even in stock form so I wouldn't worry too much about beefing the lower end up. Now as for the KDP... what a great time to do it. I would install a washer to block it from coming out.

what kind of boost numbers are you looking at turning now or in the future? If going above 50psi I would consider doing the head studs because your already there. If you are just going to be doing one charger and not two then I would save the money used on the studs for something else.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Oh I would recommend getting a 3 piece exhaust manifold - A they flow better and B they allow the exhaust manifold to expand and contract which doesn't torque on the head and either crack the exhaust man or lift the head off the block.

Oh I would recommend the stiffer exhaust springs if you plan on adding an exhaust brake....

twofazed

Reaction score
where do the exhaust springs go? any links to reputable ones? i am for sure getting an exhaust brake. and im going to do the headstuds just because im there, and i need to buy some anyways. this is a long term project, thats going into my ford. i'll only ever be running one turbo, non stock however, some people taLKED about the super b being decent. and a three piece manifold would be beter for my application I think anyways as it's a conversion and I don't know about clearance

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
exhaust valve springs... they go on the valve.

Get the 60lb ones. You can also get higher poundage intake ones but that is only if you are looking to slide past the 4k rpm mark on a regular basis.

twofazed

Reaction score
defintly don't want to have the rpms up there like that at all. so sounds like i'll just get heavier exhaust springs

dodgeman01

TOWN DRUNK
Reaction score
If your not going to turn anymore RPM's theres not really a point to get the heavier valve springs. BUT if you ever plan to go with a 4k rov kit in the future it would be a good time to do it. I Always try to over build my motors just because sometimes the bug bites and you und up with a set of twins on a almost stock motor.
DM01