95 F 450 super duty automatic shifting up to soon.

trythis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow oil burners hoping all is well. I am having problems with my f super duty it's a 1996 450 it's a flatbed dump automatic 460 gasser. I've had the truck for several years. I let the tranny get dirty, when I changed the fluid and filter it was still shifting irregular and I changed the fluid again and put some Lucas in it so it's running clean fluid with Lucas but still shifts wrong.
When I start out with the truck hot or cold if it's been sitting for an hour, it will want to shift all the way up to fourth gear, just right off the bat.
If I manually shift it for a while it will start working right. This is the big automatic with the hump on the pan.

So I have a couple questions. What would cause this problem?

And is it safe to drive it like this and shift it manually?

I am sorry I just can't seem to think of any more information that may help so ask away please.

Last edited:

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
I will preface my response with, I havent worked on a 460 in a long time but I have done a bunch of troubleshooting and minor tuning on 7.3idi mated E4ODs so some of this info may be helpful, some may not...

The E4OD relies on some sensor inputs to determine when to shift, one of the most important being the Throttle position sensor (FIPL on the 7.3idi). That sensor has a bracket that allows a wide range of adjustment which is measured in voltage off of one of the sensor wires. These sensors wear over time and need to be adjusted or replaced, I have read around 40k miles usually. Adjusting the position of the TPS by a small amount will change the shift points of the transmission DRASTICALLY. Even adjusting the voltage output by .5v could change your shift point by 750rpm or more.

trythis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you very much for the reply. I am still working on this shifting issue I did change the speed sensor that is in the rear axle same as the diesel.
But that didn't help
That throttle TPS on the 460 is at the throttle body easy enough to access I'm going to give it a try.

trythis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
something I should mention is that this shifting problem came on slowly and got worst over a few months. But the truck may sit fir a week or two at a time . I did change the fluid , and added Lucas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online