'94 IDIT runs rough, low power, nearly overheating after Moose IP

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was pretty sure the block heater installed in the center freeze plug on the passenger side. If they all have plugs in from promar it'll be the one that is different than the rest. They probably install a cup style plug if the block heater isn't used. The rest of the freeze plugs are concave plugs with a dimple in the center. Do not remove the plugs with a dimple in them! They take a special tool to replace them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never mind, you were correct it is the rear passenger side. I found a picture of mine when I was rebuilding the engine.

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a photo of the engine on a stand upside down.
You must be registered for see images attach

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
That's a nice looking engine stand. I bet you don't have much trouble rotating the engine with that one.:)

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No problems at all, lol! The owner of s machine shop I used to work at built it for himself. He didn't need it anymore so we traded some labor for it.

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We got the engine installed and fired up a couple days ago. It sounded fantastic and fires up easily.

As expected there were some minor leaks from heater hoses and fuel lines that needed adjustment and a heat cycle to help seal up.

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is the good news. The bad news is that I lost oil pressure with 4 miles on the engine, about 45 minutes of total run time.

On the initial start we hooked up an oil pressure gauge and observed 40 psi while cranking and almost 50 psi on a cold engine @ high idle. After letting it warm up, I disconnected the gauge and put all of the intake/filter together and started cleaning up.

The next day I fired it up and let it come off the high idle and took it for a slow cruise around the neighborhood, stopping every few minutes to look for leaks and listen. Eventually I left the neighborhood and got on some 40 mph streets. After coasting down from 40 mph to a stop sign I heard a small "click" and then some ticking followed by whitish/blue smoke out of the exhaust. I immediately shut it down and got off the road. Everything under hood looked great and all fluids clean and full. I fired it back up and gently headed for home. Nearly home and the oil psi dummy gauge showed below NORMAL in the red. I again shut it down and coasted into a parking lot and popped the hood hoping to see the wire for the switch knocked off, nope, it was still attached. The engine sounded good but I coasted home the rest of the way. Once in the driveway I hooked up my pressure gauge...1 psi at idle. I then removed the gauge and let the hose drain into a cup while cranking the engine. There was very little oil making it out of the top of the turbo.

While trying to calm the pit in my stomach I re-checked all of the obvious stuff and swapped on a new oil filter but before spinning on the filter I picked at the oil pressure regulating valve in the rear cooler filter head. It appears to be fully closed, no holes visible, which I believe should be allowing full oil pump pressure to be delivered to the engine. The oil filter bypass should not have anything to do with my issue but I depressed the plunger anyway. It operates smoothly.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pull the valve covers and make sure none of the oil plugs came out, but I’d wager an oil squirter probably came out if you have no pressure.

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks @Thewespaul.

Where else could I look for issues? Any other internal plugs or are they only in the heads?

When you say squirter, do you mean the piston cooling squirters? That would have to mean that they flat out missed tightening the bolt, right?

Also, I used the included Melling oil pump. It took me a long time to decide to use it, given the experiences some of the other guys have had but I ultimately bolted it up because it is what Promar recommended and I was concerned about using my original unit that had eaten some metal and had 190k on it.

Is there any reason to pull the rear coolant header?

What about removing the pan and inspecting the pickup and oil pump?

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are these the plugs I should check?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those are the ones, if you don’t have any obvious external leaks then that’s about all you’re going to be able to check.

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any chance the oil pump failed already?

I should have mentioned. I removed the oil filter and placed a ziplock bag over the filter head. I then cranked the engine for 10 seconds and only got 6 ounces into the bag.

It seems like I should have had lots more volume. Since the head oil plugs are so far downstream I wouldn't think they would play into a low flow scenario.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online