1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'94 IDIT runs rough, low power, nearly overheating after Moose IP

Discussion in '6.9L IH & 7.3L IDI Diesels' started by SLC97SR5, Sep 11, 2019.

1. SLC97SR5

SLC97SR5 Full Access Member

I contacted Promar and recieved an apology as well as a complete gasket kit. They overnighted it and I had it by 8 am the next day, ready to go back together.

We cleaned the piss out of the galley hole and staked in a new plug with red loctite and a drift that we lathed down the night before to be able to punch the new plug in without deforming it.

20191114_083049.jpg

20191113_233036.jpg

20191113_233045.jpg

We then staked the outer edge of the hole and started reassembly.

For those that wonder about resealing the oil cooler on the truck, it can be done and it is not that bad.

I had only removed the rear header to check the oil pressure regulator. It was as simple as cleaning the header and block, applying some RTV to the metal gasket to hold it in place, lubing the new O-rings with Parker lube and slowly compressing the rear header with a woodworking pipe clamp. The most difficult part was getting the block gasket in place.

4Chin, Jake60 and tjsea like this.
  2. SLC97SR5

SLC97SR5 Full Access Member

Filled it up with a new oil filter and another $100 bucks in fresh fluids and fired it off. Oil pressure holds 45 psi cold and drops to 16 psi when nice and hot at idle.

ocnorb, Jake60, saburai and 6 others like this.
  3. IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO IDIBRONCO

Keep a close eye of it just in case the other plug comes out too. This is why I tap those holes out and install 1/4" NPT plugs when I have a block apart.

saburai and Thewespaul like this.
  4. saburai

saburai Supporting Member Supporting Member

That's great news, I always like it when it turns out to be a relatively simple fix as opposed to a disaster:Thumbs Up

5. IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO IDIBRONCO

I think I'd be asking for Promar to refund you at least the cost of the oil and filters too. You bought a product that was supposed to be ready to run and it wasn't. The way I see it, the worst they could do is to say no. I guess this is now a lesson for anyone buying an engine from Promar. I wish this could be made into a sticky some way as a warning.

saburai likes this.
  6. saburai

saburai Supporting Member Supporting Member

You'd think that they would be falling all over themselves apologizing...