'94 IDIT runs rough, low power, nearly overheating after Moose IP

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I contacted Promar and recieved an apology as well as a complete gasket kit. They overnighted it and I had it by 8 am the next day, ready to go back together.

We cleaned the **** out of the galley hole and staked in a new plug with red loctite and a drift that we lathed down the night before to be able to punch the new plug in without deforming it.

You must be registered for see images attach

We then staked the outer edge of the hole and started reassembly.

For those that wonder about resealing the oil cooler on the truck, it can be done and it is not that bad.

I had only removed the rear header to check the oil pressure regulator. It was as simple as cleaning the header and block, applying some RTV to the metal gasket to hold it in place, lubing the new O-rings with Parker lube and slowly compressing the rear header with a woodworking pipe clamp. The most difficult part was getting the block gasket in place.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Filled it up with a new oil filter and another $100 bucks in fresh fluids and fired it off. Oil pressure holds 45 psi cold and drops to 16 psi when nice and hot at idle.
I think I'd be asking for Promar to refund you at least the cost of the oil and filters too. You bought a product that was supposed to be ready to run and it wasn't. The way I see it, the worst they could do is to say no. I guess this is now a lesson for anyone buying an engine from Promar. I wish this could be made into a sticky some way as a warning.

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got over a thousand miles on her and all is going well! Good power, good driveability and the turbo whistle is fantastic. It is amazing how all of the little exhaust leaks add up.

Thanks again for the manifolds, I surfaced, blasted and repainted them. They've been perfect.

I have an injector that is weeping enough to fill the well around the GP hole, I assume the body to nozzle needs to be re-torqued but other than that, no leaks or other issues!

I do miss the additional fuel from the Bull Moose pump but it should live an easier life with the Jr Moose. I'm seeing 17psi at full tilt.

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've added a 4 pillar pod with an oil psi and coolant temp gauge.

And got her all cleaned up from the swap.

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had a tick from the DS valve cover area that I have narrowed down to a mechanical tick, not fuel related.

It is there when the engine is cold but it is muffled. It is most prevalent around 1k RPM and cruising under light load.

Today I popped the valve cover off and everything looked great, pushrods spun free and the rockers were moving an equal amount. I really thought I would find a loose rocker bolt. Nope, everything was tight and looked in order.

I let the engine idle with the cover off and it was as smooth and quiet as could be even while advancing the throttle. This lead me to the valve cover itself.

4 depressions are carved into the CDR baffle that match up with the 4 center rocker arms.

All I can think of is the new gasket is thinner than stock (unlikely) or Promar machined the top of the head to VC mating surface.

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I started to clearance the baffle but ended up popping the little spot weld. That actually works out since I'll reposition the baffle a little deeper and re-weld it in place.

Anyone seen that interference before?

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I started to clearance the baffle but ended up popping the little spot weld. That actually works out since I'll reposition the baffle a little deeper and re-weld it in place.

Not on an idi but my buddy had a stock 390 ford that did that once

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Nice to see it wasn’t something more onerous!

I’ve never heard of that one. I’d bet money that some IDIs are running like that unbeknownst to their owner..!

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I have but not on a 6.9/7.3. It was on a 6.2 Chevy. The guy bought a long block from our shop and installed it himself. He brought it back with a "lifter making noise". He just knew that had to be it. After narrowing it down to a head and being pretty sure on the cylinder too, I took the valve cover off and saw that there was a couple of clean spots similar in shape but not in depth to your marks. There didn't appear to be anything wrong, so I put the lines back on the injectors and we started the engine. No noise. The installer had just glued the valve covers down with RTV and the valve cover was too close to the rockers without a gasket. I got to put a valve cover gasket on each side and the owner got a bill.