94' 7.3 idi.

Jeremy Cima 31

Reaction score
Within the next couple days I'm probably going to be the. New owner of a 94 F-250 with the
7.3 idi. I don't know much about this type of motor. I'm just curious on some of yalls opinions on it. As of now the motor only has 132,000 miles on it.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well you picked an excellent truck. The idi is a great engine and is very simple to work on and maintain. 94 was the last year the idi was produced so you do have the advantages of having the serpentine setup instead of v belts and you have updated wiring that used the 3g alternator. This eliminated a lot of the electrical problems that the older trucks had. Since you have an obs truck (92 and up) you do have a substantial amount of aftermarket support compared to the older brick nose and bullnose trucks.
Lets see some pics!

Jeremy Cima 31

Reaction score
Well I'm glad to hear that there is a lot of good stuff about this truck. I'm hoping it works that I get. I just realized that I know one of the previous owner so I feel a lot better about it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
mostly my suggestion is to buy ONLY from those that have a good reputation for the parts they sell. We have plenty of crappy ebay sellers "telling" you they have the best for less parts. Sadly you end up paying usually close to twice the cost of buying the best parts first instead of buying the cheapest parts with hope...

Jeremy Cima 31

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Welcome, Jeremy from another Jeremy. You made a good choice of trucks and you came to the right place for advice. The bad news is that unless you know that the pump and injectors have been replaced with quality parts, you're probably looking at replacing them. After that, you should be good for quite a while with only 132,000 on it.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome, Jeremy from another Jeremy. You made a good choice of trucks and you came to the right place for advice. The bad news is that unless you know that the pump and injectors have been replaced with quality parts, you're probably looking at replacing them. After that, you should be good for quite a while with only 132,000 on it.
Don't worry about it until it starts having issues, though. They can last 150-200K.

If it's having low power issues or gray/white smoke(beyond a puff at cold start), you can fix it by advancing the timing a little bit and just running it.
Over time, the IP timing gets worn, and that ends up retarding the overall timing, resulting in smoke and lower power(and a quieter engine)

Jeremy Cima 31

Reaction score
Well I sure appreciate all the advice. Looks like I'm meeting up with the fella tomorrow so hopefully it all works out. If so I'll post some better pictures of it

shawn deere

So many wrenches, so little time...
Reaction score
Do know they are rated like 180hp flywheel n/a. Lol.
But they make torque.

Ive weighed 24,000 with a n/a Itll get the job done. But not the first one up a hill. Lol.

Turbo and tweeked pry 300 flywheel jp before you have to do head work. (Pry 250hp before head studs).

They seem reasonable on fuel. Fairly tough engines. Super knowledgeable folkes around here.

Id own one. Errr. I do own one. Lol