94 7.3 idi turbo upgrade help

Simmonscoating

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My first post guys. Need some help trying to decide on a propane or **** injection system to help this truck out. im pulling 20,000 lbs truck and trailer she hates the hills. My question is whats the best way to get power out of these trucks i know heat is a problem with these trucks so many mixed results out there should i go bigger turbo more fuel or a quick fix with the injection kits and witch one is better propane or **** . thanks for the help

Brutis

Work in Progress
Reaction score
My suggestion would be a water/**** kit. That's what I ordered and hope to install next week (if it arrives) After talking with my local diesel speed shop we concluded that its probably the best overall option for the older trucks. Keeps things cool so you don't have to roll out of the throttle and depending on the mixture you can get significant hp gains (20-60) with these IDIs. Plus it seems to be the cheapest as you can run just water (at least during the warm months) and windshield washer fluid is cheaper than propane.

That's my thinking on the subject anyway. Hope it helps a little.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would feel more comfortable running propane, something about burning water doesnt sit right with me....

On the turbo, I dont think bigger is what you need. Maybe a different compressor or turbine wheel might help you spool up quicker. Also, an intercooler would help. Does your truck have the factory turbo?? If so, replace the downpipe and get a free flowing exhaust.