93 IDI Turbo 4WD 5Spd cluth....RLDSL????

adtman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it is time to put a clutch in the 3/4 ton. I was told by another member that RLDSL has been through some clutches. I haul heavy equipment, hay etc. I need a clutch that is going to hold up and last a while. I don't want to have to do this again anytime soon. I am open to suggestions and hints or tips or tricks to getting this job done the easiest way possible. I have done lots of clutches, just not on a 3/4 ton 4wd diesel. I know it is going to be a bear, that is why I am asking the experienced ones on here for some ideas, tips and tricks. I would also like to know what type or brand of clutch you might suggest.

Thanks

John

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what is your rear end ratio?
if it's 3.55, it doesn't matter what clutch you put in, you will burn it up.
I use factory stock clutches in my F-Superduties(f450) and they last 5 years on average. the rear end ratios are 4.63 and 5.13.
on my 3.55 trucks, I have to slip the clutch to get going or it's going to buck. 4.10's and above, you don't touch the throttle until you're just about released on the clutch.
If you are needing the single mass conversion, Luk offers a complete kit.

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
I talked to RLDSL about clutches a little while Ago and he said he's running a Kevlar Clutch. I've also heard from several people not to use southbend that they only last about 40k and eat up your flywheel.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Ft Wayne clutch has a great deal on a rebuilt clutch setup that the disc is lined with 100% kevlar and it is matched up with a pressure plate that is actually fairly lightweight which is REALLY nice. the kevlar has so much higher coefficient of friction that it doesnt require a pressure plate with springs that need two men and a boy to push the dang pedal down, quite the opposite, the stuff grabs so well that they can match it up to a light sprung pressure plate and it will still grab and pull insanely heavy loads without any trouble. I have about the worst kind of arthritic condition and if it weren't for that clutch I would have had to put a slushbox in :puke: They call that thing their Hustler clutch. If you are going for a SMF setup, get a 12 1/4" it will cost a bit more but you get more friction surface and you also get about twice as many springs in the center hub as you do with the 11" and rollover noise is close to non existant, you basically have about the same spring isolation that the DMF gave you without it's drawbacks. I regularly gross 18k and better up to around 22k and that kevlar clutch setup works sweet ( my first 11" kevlar clutch outlasted the DMF that it was up against and the DMF folded, this is when I found out the hard way that you don't match anything stouter than a stock clutch up against a DMF, or the overload protection section on the DMF becomes the weak link in the chain. The flywheel folded after 50k miles of being hooked to that clutch, but the clutch still measured out as new and lives on in another member's truck) It's always a pleasure talking with the folks at Ft wayne Clutch when You have a question because you actually get to speak with the guys who put the things together.

You don't want any kind of clutch with ceramics or metal in them. Those are great for pulling sleds, but not real great for longevity

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe I am the member who's truck RLDSL's clutch is living on in. Its doing a great job moving me down the road. I thank RLDSL for giving me such a great deal on it, helping me with advice for the swap, even lending me his clutch centering tool for quite a few months. As far as I know he knows what he's talking about... this thing is really nice. I do think that extra springs in an 12.25" clutch would be nice but this 11" is getting me down the road fine and the gear rattle is only really noticeable when in gear lugging down, like pulling out of a gas station or idling around a campground.

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
I use Laycook Products in Memphis, TN for all of my clutch rebuilds from stock to extreme. I have used carbide ceramic puck clutches in my old pullers, as well as iron ceramic. Never had any problem and they will guarantee their work for life of the vehicle. Your looking at around $300 for the most severe duty application.

adtman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well thanks for the posts folks! WOW I do appreciate everything. I am going to order a clutch sometime this week. When I start installing it I will keep in touch just in case I have any problems. I can't wait to start driving that wonderful beast again. It is just such and AWESOME truck.

Again, thanks for all the replies...

John

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
I ended up ditching my DMF (that was still in decent shape) in favor of this kit from South Bend Clutch http://southbendclutch.com/1944325.html So far I am really blown away by the difference in feel and engagement. I have not worked it hard with a heavy load over 10k yet, but I'm confident it will handle anything I'll ever throw at it. Mine is the stock power kit...

jam0o0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ROT BOX: how is the petal effort? my clutch is suppose to be the original 260K miles.

adtman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holy cow! I am going to start a fund raiser for my 93!!!! LOL WOW MAN!!!! That is ok, I am still going to buy it, I need that truck for winter snow plowing. I got quoted just shy of a grand for smf and complete clutch from Ft Wayne. That place did impress me though. You could hear the guys in the shop working and running the air tools! That really did impress me to talk to an actual mechanic and not some snot nosed know it all at the counter! LMAO No offense to those please. Just kidding. I am going to call a couple of other places, but they really seemed to have what I need.

Well I am going to keep posting just in case I have a question or something.

And guys, I really do appreciate the support here. Thanks

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
It seems like the SBC and the Ft Wayne clutches are top of the line for these trucks. I wonder what differences there are between the two? I know both are dissimilar but I've never compared them side by side. For under $600 I was pretty happy and looking at the kit (when it was in the box) and driving the truck so far I really feel like it will take years of use and hold up under a lot of stress.

ROT BOX: how is the petal effort? my clutch is suppose to be the original 260K miles.

Very light in comparison... One of the lightest petals I've felt in a 3/4-1ton that I can remember. The engagement is very smooth too--again mine is the stock or slightly modified clutch not sure about the 375+ hp kit but I imagine it would be a little less user friendly :dunno

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Make sure you spend the few extra bucks and get the kevlar pilot busing as well ( they may have already tried to talk you into it ) the clutch kits come with a pilot bearing, but it's well worth the extra money to get the Kevlar pilot bushing, it's a plastic looking bushing that will basically last the life of theclutch and then some if installed properly and you don't have to worry about it going dry like a pilot bearing and you don't have to worry about the needles laying over while installing the tranny and shoving a couple up in where they don't belong throwing everything out of allignment and messing up your tranny. It's one of those cheap insurance things ;Sweet