93 IDI clogged Injection Pump? Sat 3 years, fuel out of return line, none out of injector hard lines

xekon

Reaction score
So my 1993 Ford 7.3 IDI 4x4 with the E4OD has been sitting for 3 years, it has been sitting because it needed a new transmission, BUT before sitting it Started up easy and Ran great!

I found a parts truck for $500 with a good E4OD, I got the new transmission installed.

Soooooooo, tried firing her up, no go, checked schrader valve, got fuel there, unscrewed all 8 hard lines from the top of the injectors, no fuel out of any of them.

With key in On position I have 12volts at the Fuel Shutoff Solenoid, and I can remove and hook it back up while the key is still on and I hear and feel the click it makes each time, so im assuming if you hear it click, then its working.

I tried removing the fuel filter, and adding a can of SeaFoam, but then I was cranking every couple of hours to get it into the Injection Pump.... not realizing that it was going out the return line.... So I might have to try that again and crank it just enough to get it into the Injection Pump and then let it sit....

I removed the fuel return line from the top of the injector pump, and fuel comes out of there steadily when I am cranking.

Was just wondering if there is anything else I can do, like taking the Injection Pump apart and cleaning something? or possibly using compressed air at one of the fitting on the pump to break through?

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Really the best thing I can suggest is make sure power is reaching the injection pumpfuel shutoff solenoid. That connection is the closest one to the radiator on top of the injection pump. Just turn on the ignition switch and then lift the wire from the connection on the pump. you usually can hear and feel the click telling you the solenoid works.. Only other idea is alge has messed up your fuel and its plugging the injection pump fuel strainer in the back end of the injection pump. For most of us to clean this strainer we have to remove the pump from the engine. There are too many small parts in the strainer area. Actually some of the smallest springs you have ever seen are used there to hold the pump vanes out in position. Mel mentioned this is the smallest piece in the intire injection pump. Utube has plenty of nice videos showing this too.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you do have a clogged ip then you could try filling the fuel filter with atf and filling the ip by cranking the engine over and letting it sit overnight. You might get lucky!

xekon

Reaction score
getting click out of the FSS, its got power for sure, going to keep cranking on and off all day today, if by the end of the day I dont have any fuel, i will take the filter off again and fill with ATF. If the ATF dont work then I will remove the pump from the truck and see what I can clean, thanks guys.

EDIT: also I removed the glow plugs, so she turns over nice and easy! and requires less power to do so.

xekon

Reaction score
Shes ALIVE! Thanks everyone! Not much testing of things at this points, but the tranny seems to be working, will be going through and testing everything next few days.