93 F350, E4OD TO ZF5 electrical specific.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ive got all the mechanical down.
I have the dash swapped for the manual,
engine harness for the manual.
pedals mounted
but the one thing im unclear on, is running the chassis and transmission harness.

whats involved in using the auto chassis harness?
is there anything special I have to do save the neutral safety switch jumper?

is the harness that goes from the computer to the trans separate in the chassis harness?

never done the auto to ZF5, always started off with a manual truck.

thinking it shouldn't be too hard, just looking for suggestions before I dive into it.

thanks folks!

I did search. couldn't find these answers in my state of zombieness...

A48WillyzGuy

Reaction score
I zip tied the E4OD range selector switch up to the frame and left it in neutral. No need for a clutch safety switch then, and it saved a lot of time. I just jumped a couple of wires out of the auto switch for the ZF reverse lights and hit the road.

Black dawg

Reaction score
I have seen the harness done a couple different ways from the factory. I generally leave the back up light wires and t case switch wires in the harness and remove all others, and just solder on connectors for BU lamp switch and t case switch. Just connect the two wires that ran down to the range selector for the neutral safety switch together. If you want to have the clutch cancel switch, just plug it into the wiring under the dash.

One that I did, both trucks 89 and from e40d to zf, the harness for the zf plugged in in place of the auto harness

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One that I did, both trucks 89 and from e40d to zf, the harness for the zf plugged in in place of the auto harness

Same here. I did a 89 but it was a c6 to zf, it was plug and play the harness unplugged underneath the brake booster area. But yours is a later model, and it might have the electronic speedo. Does the electronic speedo get it's info from the sensor in the rearend hopefully? If it comes from some sort of sensor on the trans that may be a problem.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did my 89 years ago. I jumpered two wires in the harness down at the transmission plug to make it think it was in park. Thus allowing it to start. The clutch switch wiring was under the dash. I never hooked up the clutch switch though.

Ran it like that for years. When I tore it down for the rebuild I stripped all the E40d crap out of my harnesses. The tach ran through the E40d computer and the ABS sensor. Not sure on the 92 plus if they ran those through that computer also, but wouldn't be surprised.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
gonna be a week or so before I get the ZF in, ill get back to you guys if I have any issues.
seems pretty str8 >>>

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a chassis harness and a transmission harness that are run separately, if you already changed the engine bay harness grab the trans harness and it's plug and play

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
anyone know the colors of the wires for the neutral switch on the auto harness?
tryin to finish the wiring today, and everyone says jump pin 1 and 4, but theres no damn numbers on the connector!

surprised the auto even ran!

You must be registered for see images attach

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was able to figure it out. jumped pin #5 and 8, and shes golden.