93 460 to Diesel conversion

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll just start this thread and keep adding to it rather than start a bunch of other ones.
I've been tryin to think of options on how to do this and got thinkin, What if I put a regulator on the fuel pump and just use the factory fuel system for the 460. I cant think of any reason this wont work and if a pump does fail then I can replace it w/ a Holley.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as long as you replace all your fuel lines you can do that. my 92 f350 is a 460 trk. i switched it to a carb system and there is no way of regulating the fuel pressure down low enough to work. from the factory ford runs a 5/16 pressure line and a 1/4 inch return line. if you use a regulator it will play havic with it and overrun it since the return line is to small. and even the pressure line is to small you will need a 3/8 pressure line. by the time you do all that you might as well get the holley pump and plump it in. but thats just my 2 cents

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would recommend changing the fuel lines as sizing is important. I would use Parker Superflex hose wherever you need rubber as you will have no problems should you choose to run biodiesel.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I havent even looked at the lines yet, I figured they would be the same diameter as a 7.3 truck. I was thinkin about tryin to keep it as simple as possible by useing what I could from the 460. At least I wont have much wiring for the holley, since its already there for the factory pump.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fuel lines should be the same 3/8 feed, 5/16 return that the diesels have, I know that's what my 2 460 trucks have, My buddy John's 88 had(we converted it 460 to diesel,) and my 90 F150 does. A 93 may be different, but, I doubt it.
Definitely don't try and run the stock high pressure pump system with a regulator, it will give you nothing but headaches.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
82f11swb trust me there small i have been there done that. also if you use the wiring for the factory fuel pumps you will have to run a jumper wire at the fuel tank selector switch. from the factory it needs a signal from the oil pressure sending unit to make the fuel pump run. i will look at my trk and let you know which ones to hook up. but another problem you will have with that is you will have to run a different type of selector switch for the tanks. i know the factory type fuel pumps have a valve in them to close when they are off, which means when you flip the selector switch the fuel pump not only turns off, a valve closes and doesnt let fuel into the tank. the reason is if it didnt have the valve the oppisite tank would run the engine and fill the other tank. i have seen that a few times where fuel will come out the tank with a bad fuel pump. in not trying to discourage you but what im saying is put a little thought into the fuel lines now or have big problems later. my f350 has a 460 in it and when i went to carb i had a few of these problems, now my f350 will be diesel soon and i used the whole fuel lines from my donor diesel trk so i wouldnt have any problems. good luck and keep us posted

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also have a complete fuel system still on a donor frame, so If its to much of a hassel I can still go that route. I hope to get this project rollin in the next month. As soon as I get my "time off" the 6.9 in the shed is gettin gutted and the fun begins.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would go ahead and switch the complete fuel system from the donor trk. one less thing to worry about and one less thing to have problems out of.