92 Rebuilt IDI rattles/knocks HELP!

Got Smoke?

The Smokey One
Reaction score
My cousin and I just got his freshly rebuilt 92 IDI 7.3L started. Its got a very loud rattle/knock to it at idle alone with no additional fuel. As soon as you give it a little bit of fuel it smooths out and goes away.

He & another guy managed to crossthread the #1 injector so it squirts out a hard stream of fuel consistantly. I'm thinking that this may be part of the cause of the noise due to the motor not getting the fuel it needs? However I am no expert, especially on Fords. If anyone has any helpful info it would be greatly appreciated.

Truck is a 92 7.3 IDI Auto with 93 IDI Turbo pump & injectors.

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
you dont have to be an expert on fords,its a diesel with a fuel leak.i bet your cummins would knock to.just follow KISS-KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID,fix the fuel leak and see if the knock goes away.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds exactly like a truck with an air leak to me. Mine'll make you think your head's gonna rattle off when it is first started.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
My previous IDI's would knock and rattle so hard when started cold , many said it sounded like the pistons were swapping holes :eek: :D

Of course the pump was a tad HOT :Sly :smoke:

If the rattle doesn't lessen after fixing the faulty inj line, check IP timing, or start swapping nozzles and see if the sound follows.

Got Smoke?

The Smokey One
Reaction score
geonc said:
My previous IDI's would knock and rattle so hard when started cold , many said it sounded like the pistons were swapping holes :eek: :D

Of course the pump was a tad HOT :Sly :smoke:

If the rattle doesn't lessen after fixing the faulty inj line, check IP timing, or start swapping nozzles and see if the sound follows.

Thanks for the suggestions. He replaced the line & injector today, but said it was still having issue's. I wasn't here so I don't know what exactly they were.

I'm affraid we may have to trailer it to a local diesel mechanic in the area because the guy who helped him rebuilt it is no longer in the picture. :mad:

Keep the suggestions coming fella's I appreciate them all. :thumbsup: :thanks:

Got Smoke?

The Smokey One
Reaction score
Agnem said:
What is your timing set to?

Stock timing for a 92 IDI(I don't know I wasn't there). If he can't get it straightened out by Saturday I think we're gonna trailer it to local mechanic who has experience with the Ford IDI diesel's.