89 Navistar 7.3 idi----Learner Question

hrsitton

Reaction score
@Thewespaul.

We crossed again. Great picture. I like to know what I'm supposed to see before hand when posible. Since I'm talking about trying to get some Seafoam in the cover, I'll be looking for the side inspection cover to fill the IP with Seafoam also.

Parts house is 50 miles away and I'm out of Seafoam so may be Monday before I get to town.

But please keep this thread monitored in your notifications because I will be back.

If there is anything I hate, it is somebody who solves the problem and runs off without anybody finding out what happened.

hrsitton

Reaction score
If you are looking to the back and straight down you will see the plungers move with the engine rotating.

Well, I don't have a remote start setup and am working alone so will be hard to rotate the engine while looking at the innards. Are you talking about the solenoid plungers or plungers that deliver fuel to the cylinders? Is that how these IP's work?

Do you have a picture of the stuff under the cover (not in the cover)?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s not really an important test, just a neat thing if you have a remote starter switch, and yes the fuel plungers in the injection pump

hrsitton

Reaction score
I have some animations of a hydrostatic pumps somewhere. Sounds like those pumps may have been influenced by injector pumps, or vice versa. First time I watched them I thought it was the best invention since the differential.

So that's gotta be how the injection pump works, at least sort of. Yep, that is neat. I may need to rig up a remote starter cable. (with the fuel pump off!)

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I don't have a remote start setup and am working alone so will be hard to rotate the engine while looking at the innards. Are you talking about the solenoid plungers or plungers that deliver fuel to the cylinders? Is that how these IP's work?

Do you have a picture of the stuff under the cover (not in the cover)?

Don't know how a van is set up, but on my truck I have the common Ford solenoid on the pass side fender. I MAKE SURE IT"S IN PARK OR NEUTRAL and just reach over with a screwdriver and touch the terminals together on the solenoid. On mine, I can short the little terminal to the large battery terminal, or I can get pliers and short both big terminals. It doesn't matter, the only thing it does is send a small amount of power down to the starter solenoid on the starter itself.

hrsitton

Reaction score
Op
Thewespaul is "wes"
See the story behind the handle

Ouch! Well, it was a well written article but the thread it was mentioned in was about replacing the FSS, so I was misled by the thread. The article is printed out laying to the right on my desk as I type.

The help he has given me has been tremendous. It's raining now but when it clears up I will now have no real concerns about pulling the FSS cover.

Cool story about the handle. I practiced the guitar for several years but sadly never got beyond practicing.

My handle and real name is Harold. One parent wanted Howard, the other Herman, so they agreed on a second choice for both. Dad had a brother named Herman so Mom didn't want that. Forgot why Dad didn't want Howard.

So Harold it is.

I've used Trailscout on many forums as finding old trails has been a longtime hobby.

On a horse forum I'm Hondo because that's the name of my horse.

The Les Paul/Wes Paul was a pretty cool story.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You found mel, look up type4. (Our turbo guy)
IdIot posted a thread
Members that provide excellent service...or something like it, this a nd the tech pages, and stickies should be of help.

hrsitton

Reaction score
Found this very excellent youtube video about 11 minutes classroom type discussion using a nice cutaway of what appears to be the Stanadyne DB2 injection pump.

I'm getting very close to pulling the FSS cover.

This video is valuable to anyone interested in how this works.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It could be an issue with the fsv, but as long as you have some fuel at the inlet the injection pump should at least try to inject some fuel and you will have a dribble at the injectors, if the fsv has issues it usually shows up when trying to keep the engine running. Maybe try switching tanks and listen for the motor on the fsv, the needle should change some even if the tanks are both full.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found this very excellent youtube video about 11 minutes classroom type discussion using a nice cutaway of what appears to be the Stanadyne DB2 injection pump.

I'm getting very close to pulling the FSS cover.

This video is valuable to anyone interested in how this works.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
This is exactly our pump, but without the dynamic "light load advance" lever on the side.
I've posted this exact video a number of times. Really good video.

hrsitton

Reaction score
@Thewespaul

Only have one fuel tank, a 50 gallon saddle tank. This truck believe it or not, with a 7.3, is rated for 40k. With air suspension on the rear.

Update: The cover containing the solenoids has been pulled with the solenoids working as designed with no outward signs of defects.

The cover did not come off in the controlled fashion hoped for as it was somewhat stuck although no adhesives were used. Unless it was used on the edges of the flat O-ring which remained on the bottom and needed to be carefully pulled off.

The bottom was full of diesel and some ran out when the cover was pulled so it seems there was quite a bit in the top cover.

The top and bottom look exactly as the pictures you posted sans crack in large solenoid.

Now I am puzzled on how the top could be reassembled incorrectly. The O-ring was replaced it the top with the cover set to protect what was inside from contamination.

I thought remembered your article saying the cover needed to be slid forward and lifted off. But the arm of the large solenoid is not touching anything with the cover being able to be slid forward or backward a small amount when replacing.

The small solenoid looks to be inline with the return fitting as if it were controlling that opening, but I have not as yet removed it until I get more input.

The real puzzle to me at this point is what the large solenoid arm is supposed to activate or ride against.

Untill I figure that out I'm sort of stuck in terms of going forward, unless the tests on the solenoids confirms the IP is not functioning.

I'm also wondering since the circuit to the large solenoid seemed to have an intermittent malfunction if that could result in the IP being turned over dry during start attempts damaging the close tolerance parts to non-functioning.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The video posted has a good view of what it acts on in the correct position
You must be registered for see images attach

hrsitton

Reaction score
Ok. I went back outside and took a closer look. I did notice that the front and back edges of the top were not lined up perfectly with the bottom. But it could be slid back in line. 1/32"-1/64" or so, not much. But when it was just dropped back in, it was still slide forward a bit. So that must be why you said to slide it forward a bit when removing.

Now a question: Does the part on the bottom the arm rides against open and close a valve allowing fuel to reach the moving pump parts of the IP?

Note: Mine is a little different as mine has two solenoids. I guess the small one is just for the cold start timing advance? This truck is an actual International, not Ford.