89 F250 LS Diff and Disk Brakes should slip right under my 86?

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
EDIT:
Before reading through this thread, this truck did not
have Disk Brakes instead the usual drum brakes.
I sent pictures to my BIL, and 2 were of Disk Brakes of a different truck, And I didn`t catch it.
When I went back to the yard, it was drums. MY Bad.

I had been reading through this long 15 pg thread on swapping Drum to Disk brakes from a newer metric
8x170 to the older 8x6.5, when I came across this 89.

Yeah this truck really got hit hard, bent that corner of the Fire Wall, Floor buckled, threshold bowed up and above door opening cab pushed up.
Amazing didn`t get into the engine or drive train.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I came across an 89 F250 7.3, with LS Differential and Disk Brakes.
It`s an automatic, so guess an E4OD? and also a GV Splitter.
So it could have the 4:10 Diff I wold guess if it has the GV.
Only plate on the Diff says 75 W140 synt oil only.

I want Disks on the rear, and when I saw this I got excited. So it should just slip right under my 86...right/no? Problems, complications?

This truck took a hard hit in the LF, but I didn`t see where it got to the engine. But things are munched pretty good. Shows 95K so probably 195K, and engine looks pretty clean, and it was a driver at the time.

You must be registered for see images attach

Seriously thinking of Saws All the sheet metal on the L/F and unbolt the core on the other side and drag the engine out.

Goat

Last edited:

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Should bolt right in Plus some possible plumbing on rear brakes to original. May possibly be 3.55 also even with GV which would be a ++. Hope it works out for you. :thumbsup:
:thumbsup::rock:

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Were disks a factory option in '89 or are these a conversion kit? If you can get at the VIN tag a "C5" axle would/should be 4.10 LS & "C9" 3.55 LS

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Discs were not stock except on the superduty. The problem with the conversion kits are the emergency brakes. Some don't have them, which is a problem if you have inspections, and others are so lousy they won't hold if you are towing or have a load in it.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Discs were not stock except on the superduty. The problem with the conversion kits are the emergency brakes. Some don't have them, which is a problem if you have inspections, and others are so lousy they won't hold if you are towing or have a load in it.

I went to put a rear disc conversion kit on a 1978 Dodge 1 ton van and the brackets wouldn't fit due to how far out the leaf springs were on the axle (Dana 60). The springs interfered with the calipers, not even allowing them to be mounted. I ended up having to forget it and send everything back.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I put the rear end (drum brakes) out of a 90 F250 underneath my 86 Bronco. It should go under your truck without any issues. Don't forget to get the bolts and straps that hold the rear U-joint to the rear end. That or buy some new ones.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Next time Iam out there, I`ll measure the bolt pattern.
If it is an axle swap from a later truck, then Ford went
to a metric pattern from the SAE. Must have been when they went to the PS Engine.

I did read on some site where they used the 350 van rotors
and then redrilled them (as I Remember) to the SAE pattern. I`ll poke around to see if I can find it.
I know the swap is a bit pricy.

Last week of the month is a 25% off on every thing in the yard. So I`ll wait till then to start removing things. It`s been
there for a month and not much has been touched.
It`s 31 miles out there. Was out near there today Picking up some Ford rims, Battery Trays, JD rims and Mercedes Suspension parts. Today was our first snow
of the season, too damn cold to go out there to check. The truck will have to be in cold storage for a bit.

It is an automatic and 2 wheel drive.

Goat.

Last edited:

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the bolt pattern stayed the same on E-Vans until early 2000s then went metric route. Spring perch would be different location so would have to be moved for the truck springs.
Easiest way to do swap for me.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got back out there on the 19th...and my bad, it does not have Disk brakes.
I was sending the pictures of the tuck to my BIL, and 2 pictures were of another truck with Disk Brakes.
he said "Hey it has Disk Brakes" and I got all excited.:Q

I pulled the Gear Vendor, it weighs around 40lbs.
removed the rear Drive Line, then the front section which I kept. Have to remove the spedo cable and a few wires to a solenoid that makes it shift. Then 6 or 8 small nuts. Found a block of wood to give it a good smack to brake the seal where it bolts to the Trans Tail Shaft...and down it comes.

There are 2 boxes in the cab, one with a rocker switch and lights to shift it, and one mounted to the floor under the steering column, and under the rug. removed all the wires, one goes to the fuse box.
There is a short piece of spedo cable and some kind of adapter you need to grab.

$108.00 + $30.00 core, + $11.18 Enviro fee and $11.34 Tax. for a total of $160.50.
Had to tell them what it was, no one had ever heard of one, not even the manager, and he is an off road guy.

I want to pull the 7.3 engine out of it, went back day before yesterday, to remove the 4 Torque Convertor bolts. What a PITA to get to them. Dropped the lower cover plate thinking I could walk the FW around with a Screw Driver. Got one lined up on the driver side, but could not get the leverage to brake it free....and the cross over pipe is in the way.

So remove those 4 bolts, place a jack under the engine to hold it. Sawz All the trans X mount off, as it is bent. remove the tail shaft mount bolts, remove it from the transmission. Then lower the jack to expose the bell housing bolts. remove them, and then wiggle the trans off to drop on the ground. Sound right? easy peasy.
Then raise the engine back up to level.
Next Fri is 25% off, so will hit it next Tues/Wed to cut the bent twisted metal and be ready.

Did read tonight to remove the Starter for easy access to the TC Bolts. That should be a delight. ;Pissed

My HF 3/8" impact gun is ok, but some things it just will not brake free......so...last night I went to HD and bought a 1/2" drive DeWalt gun...the big guy of the 3 they had.
This one comes with a batt and charger and bag....and pricy...and about the size of my lawn mower engine...LOL.
But she will zip your nuts off. I wanted the Diff yoke, and no problem, zipped right off today.

One nice thing, nothing is rusty on this truck. ;Sweet
Just before they kicked me out at 5pm, I decided to pull the exhaust pipes off the Manifolds, and cut it off just behind the trans X mount at the flange joint. Used the saws all and zipped right through the pipe.
pryed the rubber mount apart from the frame. dropped it down and almost had it clear, but the damn hanger kept hanging me up, won`t clear the X frame/ truck frame etc.... no matter how I twisted it.
OH well, if it makes it through the week end and is still there when I get back...great or I helped some one else looking for a good one.

Goat

Last edited:

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
$160?! man i could stand to find one for that

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
$108.00 + $30.00 core, + $11.18 Enviro fee and $11.34 Tax. for a total of $160.50.
Had to tell them what it was, no one had ever heard of one, not even the manager, and he is an off road guy.
:shocked: That is a fantastic price. You should pull everything you can off that truck as a guy who installs a GV probably cared about the rest of his truck too.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This could have been the 2nd or 3rd owner, who knows?
I found several business cards in the truck, was thinking of calling the # to see if this was the owner when it got hit or maybe they will know and refer me to him. Can`t hurt.

I`ll be back maybe Wed, next 2 days are crappy weather.
Get it ready for the 25% off engine pull on friday.

I was back at HD yesterday afternoon picking up some Sockets and extensions. Wondered over to the DeWalts to see what the ftlbs the next 1/2" one is from the one I bought.
Whadayano? The big one I bought is now on sale. Dropped from $319 to $249. Talked to the lady manager of that section, said best she could do it give me is $50 off on my next purchase, or return the gun.
I hate returning something that nothing is wrong with it, but that is $70 less on the price + the tax difference.
$50 off on the next purchase? They are still $20 ahead.
MGR acted like she really didn`t care.

Goat

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
MGR acted like she really didn`t care.
For the job they do for the money they do, you can't really blame them. It's not like anyone working corp retail really cares about the company itself.

Just buy a new one on sale and then return it on the older full price receipt if you don't want to return an open/used one. That way you get the sale price and the return is still new/sealed.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Iam taking this Dewalt back tomorrow and return it, then buy at the sales price.
Started raining last night around 1am, all day and now 11pm. Much needed here in the high desert. But going to be too wet to go out and play tomorrow. :bail

Goat

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online