89 CC build thread Frame off resto!! - Bad Idea

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I gotta ask, you probably said somewhere, but why did you go T19 with the overdrive instead of ZF? Does that get you pretty close to the same overdrive with the ablitly to split gears or is there some other thing that I'm missing.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Laser, I did the t-19 with an overdrive back in the late 90's when I first made the truck 4x4. The parts truck I rounded up had a t-19 in it. At the time the ZF-5 speeds were hard to round up cheaply. Now I would have done the ZF. I don't remember the exact ratio, but I think my t-19 with the splitter in OD yields a .80 final drive. I always drove this truck like a 6 speed. 1, 2, 3, 3-od, 4, 4-od. If I ever find a cheap ZF for this I'd probably swap it out while keeping the OD unit. That's also why I'm trying to keep the shifter closer to the ZF location if it works. The overdrive I rounded up was a re manufactured unit and cost like $1200. I actually bought it with student loan money!! Oh to be a dumb college kid once again.

-Jeremy

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That may be the best use of student loan money I have ever seen. :rotflmao

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
And it's been paid off for like 6 years!

OH, so that means you are almost at retirement age............. ;Poke:rotflmao;Poke:rotflmao

Since I don't think mine will be paid off till then....... I think the house may be paid off first....... LOL

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah if we could quit figuring out stuff to improve on the house we would have it paid off also, but it would still be a **** hole.

Houston we have a problem. The shift motor on my US gear isn't working. In order to remove the electric motor I'll need to remove the transferase. Not the end of the world, but something I didn't want to mess with now. I did try hitting the motor with a wrench and a dead blow, but it didn't go. I did verify that I have 12v down to the motor. And even jumped it to a battery.

Since US gear is no longer a company I'm hoping the shift motor is some standard motor that I can still get. I'm wondering if it is off of a 2-speed rear axle.

-Jeremy

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wish i woulda known you were welding those holes up.

i have a few auto pans that woulda saved you some time.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Snicklas - thanks for the links those are perfect. Lots of good info. I should have my manual somewhere, but can't find it. I found the receipt for the US gear, but can't find the manual. The shift motor will fit in mine, but the wires are on the wrong end. I'll have to instigate that, but worst case I can make that motor work. I'm hoping i can pull my motor out and clean it up and get it working.

IDIOT - it only took 30 min to weld up those holes. But thanks for the thought.

-Jeremy

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I dodged a bullet on the US gear shift motor. I was able to get a wrench on the ball screw that runs off the end of the shift motor and get it turning. After that it shifts perfect. I was very thankful. Last thing I wanted to do was engine some sort of shift motor for it. Or worse yet have to pull it out!

Talked to the place I bought it. He was a US gear dealer for like 20 years. Said he never saw one with the insides blown apart. Typically it was shift motor or electrical issues. He actually had several new units still. They were for Turbo 400's and an under drive for a C6. I didn't ask price.

- Jeremy

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
I have to applaud you for the dedication to a build that has taken a long time. Too many times I see these threads and get through to the end only to find that due to finances, divorce, distraction, etc, the owner had scrapped the project and moved onto something else.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! 92f350CC, Yeah this thing is a complete labor of love. I wish I had as much project monogamy as I have marital monogamy. I've done so many other projects while I've had this truck torn down it isn't even funny.

Car projects I've done since this was torn down around 2005. Same year my twins were born.
2003 subaru outback - bought wrecked and rebuilt
1997 subaru clutch and misc drivetrain work
1996 subaru head gaskets
2004 subaru head gaskets and misc drive train
2007 enclosed trailer rebuilt after being layed on its side. I bought it wrecked.
16' stinger boat paint job
1971 karmann ghia paint job and rust repair
s10 blazer engine swaps 2 of them for my brother.
1993 - F250 engine swap reseal etc. In addition to putting a box and snow plow on it.
1997 car trailer rebuild
Built a 1949 international pickup hotrod. It's not painted, but dead reliable drivtrain wise. MII and SBC.
1970ish montgomery ward garden tractor restoration with chrome stack!
Started helping my dad build a Model A *****
Working on a 1950 ford ***** for my buddy
I'm sure there is other car stuff I can't remember.

Also too many shop and house projects to count. When i started this my "shop" was an unheated old corn crib. Now it's all heated, insulated and has a nice floor.

-Jeremy

a little taste of some of the other projects.
You must be registered for see images attach

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Laser I completely agree. I can't stand stacks on pickups, but thought this little tractor needed one. I need to figure out how to muffle it though. It's loud.

I did a little more work on the truck tonight. I'm just figuring out the shifter hole and boot placement. It's going to be fairly tight to the dash, but should work ok. I also sucked down the a/c as I was doing a/c work on the wifes car. Truck held vacuum good. I ran out of steam to fill it tonight, but with any luck I'll get it filled tomorrow.

-Jeremy

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online