89 CC build thread Frame off resto!! - Bad Idea

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the positive comments on this! I build this thing in a vacuum most of the time as my local car friends don't understand my love affair with this truck.

I think the burlwood will look good in my truck. I'm trying to go for a newer vehicle feel and don't think something like carbon fiber would look good. I also don't want to stay with the factory textured plastic. I actually had the plain custom plastics in my truck as I didn't like the xlt factory plastics.

Thanks Jeremy

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the dash installed this weekend. Played with more wiring routing getting it all loaded back in. Even with these old trucks without all the electronics there is still a ton of wiring in them. I also ran and bought a set of seats and seatbelts out of a 97 crewcab this weekend. The seats will get covered in the leather. The seatbelts are tan and appear to be in good shape. They maybe a little dark, but I plan to run them. Definitely cheaper than buying all new aftermarket seatbelts to get the right cover.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
its a shame...you should have said something....i could have pulled the seat belts out of my ext cab and sent you (front ones anyway) they are tan and in great shape....too bad they will be going to scrap with the cab

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Freebird thanks for the offer. I had to go get the seats anyway, so it wasn't a wasted trip.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I'm sitting in the shop watching paint dry. It's super exciting but I am making progress. I'm working on getting my radiator support primed and painted up. It came from a lite burn so much of it was missing paint. I pulled it all apart and made sure no bolts were rusted tight. I've got the first coat of primer on and need to get the second coat on.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't updated for a while, but I have gotten a few things done.

Front fender emblem holes are shaved. I also got the radiator support and all the misc. brackets for the batteries painted up and read to go. I'm going trial fit the front clip them pull the fenders back off to finish painting them. I'll also fit the hood I have at that time.

In addition to getting the front clip test fit I'm starting to work on loading the doors back out. I have most of the weather stripping sitting to pu in the doors and just bought new front door side glass so I'll start getting the doors all loaded out also.

As normal it goes slower than I hope, but i'm making progress. Right now actually I'm fixing an 05 Audi A4 for a friend. He gets a deal on getting it fixed and I make a couple bucks to put towards truck parts. Slow progress, but helps keep it funded.

You must be registered for see images attach

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, not done I'm sorry to say. I wish it was. I'm hoping this weekend to get the front fenders and radiator support fit up so I can then get the fenders in primer and paint. I'm nervous about the fitment of the fenders to the hood so i want to test fit it all and do and final tweaks before paint. I also want to test fit my ranchhand front end replacement while I have the front end test fit. The front end replacement I have is for a 99 up superduty and I'm hopiing it fits good. Being I lengthened the front of my frame, putting a 92-97 clip on an 89 frame and putting a 99 up front replacement seems I'll have to definitely do some fitting to get it all looking good.

I'll get pictures when I get it all fit.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the front end all mocked up. Everything fit pretty good. They fit well enough i wish I had painted them before fitting them. I was scared to do that because in the past I've had to do some massaging to fenders to get them to fit right, but these seem pretty good. One of them is ford and the other is aftermarket. I was impressed with the aftermarket fender for fit and feel. It's definitely lighter meter, but it looks correct.

Before I tear it apart I need to fit the ranchhand bumper assembly. It is originally for a 99 up superduty, but looks like it will fit well. Looks like I need to torch off the flat plates that would originally mount to the superduty. Then there is two plates that are about 36.5" wide and that is about the same inner width as my frame. I think I can sneak those on the inside them weld in a couple plates on the outside to sandwich the frame. I'm not sure if sandiwching the frame between two plates on the bumper is a good idea or if I should just make the frame bolt to a single plate. I also have to remove a couple filler plates on the top of the bumper that would have filled the space between the headlights and the bumper on the 99. Since the 92-97 has the filler panel under the headlights I need the bumper top as flat as possible.

02x72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm jealous of the bumper, Ive been trying to find one for the longest time with no luck. Looking good though, cant wait to see how a superduty bumper looks on the truck.

89greendiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
uh yeah, hello brand spankin' new truck.. i love the king ranch colors.;Sweet

do you know what your total investment in cash will be, or are you even keeping track?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online