89 CC build thread Frame off resto!! - Bad Idea

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well figured I'd throw an update out there. Couple pictures of some painted pedal arms. I almost put them in as is, but they looked rough so out came the primer and paint. I power washed the heater housings to get rid of the junk all over them. I have a new heater core and evaporator to put in before mounting the units final. I'm still working on replacing any seals in them that are ratty. I put back in the insulating pad on the inside, but left the outside pad off as it was pretty bad. I also have lizard skin on both sides so i should be better than factory. I'm putting in a hydroboost unit when I load the brakes onto the firewall. I'm going to try and round up a nicer dash for my truck. My dash has holes in it from a set of gages or radios or something. I'm going to recolor my interior anyway so the dash color won't matter which should make it easier to find a decent dash.

I'll grab more pictures as I go. July wasn't a good month for the truck, but August is looking up!

You must be registered for see images attach

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah I about messed myself this week. I needed more paint for the body. When I went to buy it the store I normally buy my paint from stopped mixing the brand of paint I was using. They could get me the paint I needed, but I about had a mini heart attack as I'm only 1/2 painted and definitely needed more paint.

During the reassembly here, it is all the small stuff that takes some time. I'm trying to clean everything well before it goes back in. That is if I didn't replace it.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I keep making progress. It's nice to be doing final assembly on this. I got the heater housing installed. I put new heater core, A/C evaporator, Blower motor with wheel in. The new wheel I got was metal. Not sure if that's a good deal, but I'm hoping so. I also got the hydroboost unit, clutch master cylinder, and all the pedals installed. I need to look the firewall over for any other last minute things and tie up a couple loose ends on the engine before I slide the cab forward and get it bolted down. I want to get the exhaust crossover installed and the turbo down pipe installed before I bolt the cab down. I'm waiting to do the crossover until I install my pyrometer, but I can't install it until I find the probe. And I'm not installing the down pipe until the crossover is installed. I've got plenty to do so I can still keep going, but want to get the cab on!

I put two coats of lizard skin on most of the heater housing that sits under the engine compartment. I know from the factory they had a little bit of insulation on the housing so I figured a little lizard skin insulation wouldn't hurt. I need to fix the white vacuum line then I can finish up the wire loom on the heater wiring there.

Oh I also picked up a new dash this weekend from the salvage yard. My dash had a bunch of holes in it from gages or something and I figured if I was going through the effort to paint it I might as well start out with a better dash. I plan to power wash both sides of the dash before I actually start cleaning it up for painting. I've never painted plastic before, but figured it shouldn't be too big of a deal.

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, this is a great build thread. ;Sweet Keep it up, once you get it all back together you'll keep it for a long time.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are correct I don't plan to ever sell this truck, although I only plan to rebuild it once. I'm hoping to get 10-15 years good use out of it when done. I've looked at newer trucks a lot of times and figured the effort in this truck would be worth it. It will be something a little different, all major systems rebuilt, and it will be paid for. I'm also playing with the idea of running wast oil in my IDI's since fuel's only getting more expensive.

Thanks for the comments!

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok for the short time I played with the truck it was productive. Pyro is found and installed in the drivers manifold. The crossover and diwnpipe are installed. I also got the vacuum line fixed and that chunk of harness finished up. And I power washed the new dash I have for the truck. So a very productive evening considering I was out there for about an hour.

I searched for the pyro last night and could not find it, but when I woke up I remembered it being in an ice cream bucket on my drill press. So this morning I checked and that's exactly where it was. I wonder how much of the night my mind worked on that?

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty good evening tonight. Got the cab bolted back down on the frame. I put Energy suspension cab mounts in. I was lucky and was able to reuse all the cab mount hardware. I blasted the hardware and then primed it and painted them. I'll have to do some research on how tight to put the cab mount bolts. if anybody knows how tight they are supposed to be I'm all ears.

I think I got the new dash mostly ready to start prepping for paint. I swapped in my wiring and removed all the stuff I don't want painted. With any luck I'll get it in color this weekend. I've never painted interior plastics before, but can't believe it will go to bad.

I'm anxious to get this thing moving under it's own power and starting with a key. That will be a big day.

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
The thing with interior plastic is making sure they are crazy super clean and wax free some say if the plascit has ever seen armorall paint will never ever stick no matter how much cleaning you do at the very least a red scuff pad is needed.

When cleaning use a new wipe down rag for each peice

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah cleaning is what I keep hearing is key. I figure that my interior and the dash from the junkyard don't look like they've been cleaned in years. I know my truck hadn't been cleaned or had anything put on it for atleast 10 years. I'm hoping that helps me out. On the tech sheet it says to clean the dash, clean the dash with the PPG cleaner, scuff it with 400-600 grit paper and then clean it again with the PPG cleaner. I'm also planning to shoot some bull dog adhesion promoter before I squirt the color. Red scotch brite instead of paper would be a good choice also.

So far I've power washed the dash, just with water. Now I'll probably use some simple green and a brush. Then start in with the PPG cleaner.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Painted the dash last night. I ended up with a lighter color than i planned but it seemed to match my other colors the best. The shot of the gage cluster area represents the color the best. The tan paint colored up the red really well.

I'm pretty pleased.

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That should look sharp. Kind of looks like the tan interior in a newer lariat super duty.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Newer lariat super duty is what I'm going for. Well a king ranch to be specific. Most of the interior will be the light tan but the seats will be a chocolate brown leather. I'm also going to coat a lot of the dash black plastics in a process called hydrographics. So my gage surround and radio bezel will look like burl wood.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
i plan on doing that with mine as well....i have a friend that does hydrographics....i doubt i will do burlwood though

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitsu tractor

Members online