89 7.3 idi wont start

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
how are you sure the glow plugs are working, sounds like you have had bad wiring/connections the whole time. these will act just the same as a bad gp. how long was the wait to start light staying on before the harness fried. the wait to start light tells you when the glow plugs are getting power. have you tried cranking after having the block heater plugged in for about two or three hours? If you havent I would say disable the glow plugs and try that way.

beaverthehut

Reaction score
Tried the block heater and I put brand new gp in and before I put them in I turned them on and they all heated up real hot

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

beaverthehut

Reaction score
That's what the tach says when it is turning over but it has new batteries 1000 cca and a new starter with ne wires

beaverthehut

Reaction score
I bumped the timing on the injection pump but havent anything else

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
When you post that you "bumped your timing"... Are you saying you increased it but have no way to know by how much.. If so thats dangerous to the glow plugs. Too much advance will burn the tips off the plugs.. Then if they drop in the cylinders you made a big issue for the pisyons.

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You cracked the injector lines to make sure there is diesel getting there? it'll also purge the lines of large amounts of air. I had something like this happen once with a vw IDI after I re-sealed the IP come to find out it was 180 degrees out of timing but if you haven't replaced the IP it is pretty much impossible. You really need to get the truck timed at this point. That being said, 90% of the no start or hard start cases I've encountered with diesels are related to glow plugs in my experience and they can be hard to diagnose without an ohm meter because you can replace the parts and have it work for a short time then something else in the system will immediately kill the plugs, your smoking wires are a dead give away that all is not well.