88 F250 ZF 5 Speed Back to Life

porscheman87

Reaction score
After a Bad Experience of Having my 88 F250 XLT 4X4 Towed and Ruining the Transmission, I now have a Remanufactured ZF 5 Speed by Zumbroto Bearing and Gear from Zumbroto MN, Dyno Tested 1 Year unlimited mileage warranty. I thought it shifted nice before but it shifts like a new transmission.
I am sure glad that I kept the 5 speed and did not switch to a Automatic.
I also got the Towing company to fix it all on his Insurance. Thanks to all for your Input on this on my previous post. I kept the Dual Mass Flywheel it still looked new and the clutch was the same. Must have been replaced before with 130,000 miles on it. I now have the project of installing a rebuilt IP and new injectors, I have been putting off on doing as I purchased them from Diesel Care before I read the Hall of Shame report on them. I think i Will wait until Spring to change them out, time wont make any difference since it does not appear he honors any warranty anyway.

suv7734

Reaction score
That's great news. It's nice to hear when a company stands behind their work and goes good on it if something goes wrong. Sort of makes you wonder if we should have a "Hall of Fame" for those that provide the great service as well as the "Hall of Shame" for those that don't.
One thing to do before you install those injectors (if you're not already planning on it) is to have them pop tested. New or rebuilt injectors should always be tested before installation because there are just too many times that there is one (or more) in a set that isn't 'right'.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I'm glad the tow company/insurance company did the right thing. Since you have plenty of time have those injectors pop tested. Soem people have had very good experience with Diesel Care...just cause he's had some bad points doesn't mean all his stuff is junk. Yes a Hall of Fame for excellent products and customer service might be in order. Glad you are up and running and stayed with the ZF5. The C6 is great but its an auto and fuel just costs too much these days to live with 3000RPM cruising.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
great news but a word of caution about the injector pump, take the top off and loo inside it before you install it, make sure its clean and everything is hooked up right, i got one from there last year and everytime i started the diesel it went to full throttle, its not fun when a diesel is revving so hard that it sounds like it quit knocking but i would either return them or ck there work, now i know the local autozone here sells the ip for are trks ill see if i can find the part number but good luck

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Glad to hear you got to stick it to the tow company, had one tow my moms 89 gasser with the mitsu 5spd. They should have known enough to pull the trans into neutral. But on top of that, after they towed it, on wrong terms (ie. there was no reason for them to tow it) they put over 5,000 miles on it, it came back with two HUGE dents in the side of the box, $500 cash was missing from the glove compartment, my Gameboy was stolen, and the trans never shifted right ever again. So after it was all said and done, the crooks got out of paying anything for any damage, mileage, or stolen items because we had no proof that it didnt have that damage, or had those items in there in the first place.
Plus to top it off the guy punched my mom in the face and knocked her out when she grabbed him to stop him from taking her truck. I shoulda just shot the son of a ***** and had it over with. We still see that guy in town driving his tow trucks (biggest tow company in town now) he even tried side swiping my dad once.

Aside from that off topic rant, that diesel care stuff, Im in the same boat as you man. I've still got $400+ in injectors sitting still in their bags. Im afraid to use them, and he wont return my money for them either.
So definitely get them tested.

motrack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so tell the truth now.......... was the guy making the tow a repo man?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
so tell the truth now.......... was the guy making the tow a repo man?

Yep, he sure was. But he was not supposed to be taking the truck. It was a mixup from our insurance company, and he was taking the wrong truck. We didnt owe anyone anything, he had no right to come take our truck.
That doesnt give them the right to trash the truck and beat the **** out of my mom.
I was only 9 when it happened, but I still had a gun on him, I just didnt pull the trigger...

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
Yep, he sure was. But he was not supposed to be taking the truck. It was a mixup from our insurance company, and he was taking the wrong truck. We didnt owe anyone anything, he had no right to come take our truck.
That doesnt give them the right to trash the truck and beat the **** out of my mom.
I was only 9 when it happened, but I still had a gun on him, I just didnt pull the trigger...

You probably did the right thing by not shooting him, but it must have been very tempting even at nine. I might have shot him for hitting my mom. Not that it would have been the correct thing to do... But at least you didn't have to go through the hell of being arrested and all that goes with that situation. It sux when people can do things like that and get away with it.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
You probably did the right thing by not shooting him, but it must have been very tempting even at nine. I might have shot him for hitting my mom. Not that it would have been the correct thing to do... But at least you didn't have to go through the hell of being arrested and all that goes with that situation. It sux when people can do things like that and get away with it.
If you feared for you life or your moms, I'd have blasted him!!;Sweet:backoff

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
He literally punched her in the face, knocking her out, then threw her from the back of his tow truck 5ft into our front yard. I was too afraid I'd kill him and have to spend the rest of my life in prison.
He was one gutsy sob to still hit my mom after he had two 9 year old boys with an M16 and an AK47 on him.
He still causes us trouble from time to time. Even though he didnt get in trouble for any of it.

motrack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if 2 9yr olds has access to a AK47 and a M16 that does not say much for your parents or your up bringing.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
if 2 9yr olds has access to a AK47 and a M16 that does not say much for your parents or your up bringing.

Yes it does, Good old American's (2nd amendment) just protecting there stuff! they thought twice about shooting that POS and would have been better off thinning the gene pool. They would have let you off for self defense.

motrack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
but if the guy was a REPO man he was there because they hadent PAID for the truck so it really wasent their stuff.

a couple of 9 yr old kids with guns pointed at someone just adds fuel to the gun control debate.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
but if the guy was a REPO man he was there because they hadent PAID for the truck so it really wasent their stuff.

a couple of 9 yr old kids with guns pointed at someone just adds fuel to the gun control debate.

He was at the the wrong place..:backoff

Yes thay had great control!!!!!:yell::rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Raised to use guns when needed. I guess my upbringing regarding firearms wasnt so bad, I didnt shoot the guy. My mom was screaming, saying grab a gun someone's stealing my truck. We both grabbed the biggest guns that were in the safe (which was locked BTW) I guess you would argue why we knew the combo but hey we were kids and it came into use there.
Honestly all we wanted to do was scare him into not hurting my mom and he did anyway. I was just too scared to shoot him unless he came towards me.
Tell ya what though, I dont hesitate anymore. ;Sweet
Guy comes busting through my front door, Im the first one to put him back out, but make sure I drag him atleast inside the threshold. :D

This is getting off topic, if someone has a problem with me or how I was raised, just PM me, I'd be glad to oblige you.