88 f250 saved from savage nature

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Have u seen the youth today? All u need for anti theft is a manual transmission.
Yes I have.:(
All I need for anti theft is an ugly truck. My saying is that I can leave it unlocked, keys in the ignition, a $100 bill on the dash with a note that says "this is yours, but you have to take the whole truck". Everything will still be there when I go out the next morning.:Thumbs Up

wrecked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally getting to the manual GP switch install and noticed something...
You must be registered for see images attach

Is that the oil pressure sender centre pic? And if so, I saw a boobtube how-to on switching that idiot sensor for a merely mentally challenged one that gives pressure readings if I solder in a jumper on the back of the cluster oil gauge. Anybody actually done that on a brick nose?

I suppose I could buy a gauge set like Bubba typically does with these trucks, but I'd also have to mount a gun rack, which is like painting antlers and an RCMP bullseye on yerself, up here in the people's republic of canuckistan.

Edit: forgot to ask... If I follow the how-to found here:
https://www.oilburners.net/articles/glowplugbypass.htm
how many amps will be passing through the wiring? (Albeit for 10 seconds max) The factory stuff appears to be 18g, which is what I'm hoping to use.

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
If you're only installing a push button and leaving everything else, you won't have to worry about the amps. Unless you're talking about the wiring to the push button. Then there isn't many amps at all going through the wiring. All you're doing here is turning on a relay. A 10 amp fuse is all that's needed (for a power switch instead of a ground switch) maybe less. 18 Ga wiring will be plenty.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally getting to the manual GP switch install and noticed something...

Is that the oil pressure sender centre pic? And if so, I saw a boobtube how-to on switching that idiot sensor for a merely mentally challenged one that gives pressure readings if I solder in a jumper on the back of the cluster oil gauge. Anybody actually done that on a brick nose?

I suppose I could buy a gauge set like Bubba typically does with these trucks, but I'd also have to mount a gun rack, which is like painting antlers and an RCMP bullseye on yerself, up here in the people's republic of canuckistan.

Edit: forgot to ask... If I follow the how-to found here:
https://www.oilburners.net/articles/glowplugbypass.htm
how many amps will be passing through the wiring? (Albeit for 10 seconds max) The factory stuff appears to be 18g, which is what I'm hoping to use.

I had to give you a like for the kanuckistan comment. I'm on "the island" and its thick down here in "orange" country (to anyone else watching, we just had a provincial election in BC...).

I think you're right about the sensor. Older trucks up to 1986 have a diaphragm sensor that might work but I'm not sure if it puts out a true variable signal. I'm still running stock gauge setup on mine.

wrecked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll have to find that bootuber vid and post it. Looks legit but I'm just a dummy. Of course a fella would have to install the big variable pressure sender but it's the jumper on the cluster I'm hesitant to monkey with. The sender is a piece of carrot cake.

On a different subject, I'm definitely seeing increasing air intrusion, definitely at the pump itself. I'd like to install a pair of check valves but would appreciate if anybody knows what size I'd need? I'm thinking 3/8ths? For install at the rubber fuel pump feed line. The return is easy as Apple pie with an ample dollop of vanilla ice cream.

And the front diff seal has started to leak... Oh the humanity! That will prove easy.

wrecked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd say this is as close as you get to professional!

Them crimp connectors ooze factory. (It works! Now I plumb it in proper) found a firewall pass-through plug after looking for days. Any more obvious it woulda asked me out on a date! Not that that ever happens anymore... "Hey! Who's that bandy legged guy with bad teeth over yonder? "

wrecked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Saw another vid just now on the same subject, but Bubba's 'Bama accent is indecipherable to northern folks. I'm thinking if the intertubes can be believed, a fella can get that gauge to at least wander around some, based on actual pressure, as opposed to... I dunno, the angle of any given hypotenuse, directly proportional to the angle of attack!

wrecked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey peeps, hope yer firin on all cylinders. Quick question if I may: I finally discovered where the air/fuel leak is. One of the nipples on the 4 way fitting at the back of the engine was partially broken. Actually it's almost completely broken now, but before I gave it a good wiggle it was hidden. Couldn't a fella do away with the entire steel line from the pump, replace it with good fuel line (loomed and secured away from the manifold of course) and use a more readily available fitting there? I dread to think how much a factory fitting might cost...

I hope yer gettin my drift here, I'm not good at drawing mental pictures.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I suppose that you could. I've never tried it though. You could also possibly find another IDI truck with this fitting and grab it to use on your truck.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this it?

That is a low pressure line so I don't think there would be a big problem with improvising. If it were me, I'd try to keep the original (it lasted well enough). But if you're stuck and can't wait to order parts, might as well raid the hardware bin at the parts store.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online