'88 e250, which shocks?

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am looking at my options on shock replacements for my '88 e250. The van is used as a multipurpose vehicle. DD, tow vehicle, road trip, cargo hauler.

I am looking for something with a pleasant passenger ride that is tough enough for when I hook up a 6-9k pound trailer or load 3k pounds in the van. I am looking at the following:

1. Gabriel LTV
2. KYB Gas-a-just
3. Bilstein 4600

I also thought the Gabriel HiJackers looked interesting. They are made so you can add air to them to allow you haul heavy for a while, though it says it is only for temporary hauling use.

The Bilstein's have a good reputation but are also much higher priced. Thanks

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know bilsteins are expensive, but in all sriousness, they work.....good. My truck does ride better after installing them all the ay around. It's still a 1 ton, but it doesn't float anymore. Braking over choppy ground is actually safe.

I am not a fan of air shocks, mainly because they ride pretty terrible.

RedTruck

Reaction score
For what it's worth I have a 88 E350 extended van 460 (same color as yours). I just put shocks on it this winter and went with Monroe from Summit. When I changed them all out I also bought a front stabilizer assembly from a newer van and installed with a new Monroe stabilizer shock. It does ride much better, but I only have the old original shocks to compare it to. I'm sure there's merit in all of these fellows supporting the Bilsteins. Quite a bit of support

Good luck with your project,

Paul

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth I have a 88 E350 extended van 460 (same color as yours). I just put shocks on it this winter and went with Monroe from Summit. When I changed them all out I also bought a front stabilizer assembly from a newer van and installed with a new Monroe stabilizer shock. It does ride much better, but I only have the old original shocks to compare it to. I'm sure there's merit in all of these fellows supporting the Bilsteins. Quite a bit of support

Good luck with your project,

Paul

Which stabilizer assembly did you install?

RedTruck

Reaction score
I bought one from the bone yard off a newer ('96 maybe) Ford Van. It literally takes just a few minutes to take off the old van. I eyeballed up the bracket that mounts to the frame and drilled and tapped the holes in the frame. Then had to shim the bracket with some washers to accommodate where two parts of the frame come together. There's a thread out there about a fellow that did the same thing. The steering wander is better. I would say it's worth it. The couple of threads on the net that say it's a night and day difference is a stretch in my opinion, but it is helpful. I think with the new shock and boot it cost me roughly $50 total.

Do you have sagging rear springs? I need to do something about that with mine, but haven't yet researched to learn my options.

Thanks, Paul

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought one from the bone yard off a newer ('96 maybe) Ford Van. It literally takes just a few minutes to take off the old van. I eyeballed up the bracket that mounts to the frame and drilled and tapped the holes in the frame. Then had to shim the bracket with some washers to accommodate where two parts of the frame come together. There's a thread out there about a fellow that did the same thing. The steering wander is better. I would say it's worth it. The couple of threads on the net that say it's a night and day difference is a stretch in my opinion, but it is helpful. I think with the new shock and boot it cost me roughly $50 total.

Do you have sagging rear springs? I need to do something about that with mine, but haven't yet researched to learn my options.

Thanks, Paul

Thanks, I will have to see if I can find one. My van does okay at hwy speeds, or maybe I am just used to it. It does require a little more concentration at 80-85mph then 65-70mph. I rarely cruise faster than 70mph for any extended period of time due to MPG. I get 16-18mpg at 60-65mph. Drops to 15-16.5mpg range at 70mph and goes down from there.

My rear leaf springs are in good shape. I am thinking that I will switch to e350 coils in the front. If I can find some good e350 leaf springs I may swap those in. I could also add some helper springs in the rear if I want. It says they raise the suspension about an 1-1.5". May work with the e350 front coils and some slightly bigger tires.