'88 E250 LED Headlight Upgrade Pics

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^^ it's because the light housing itself isn't made for that bulb.....it doesn't diffuse the light properly. That's why the ebay projectors that go into the factory housing(and the led's above) dont have a good pattern. They are bright, but they are everywhere, that's why I said I want to throw brick's at people who have them, they blind the **** out of you if you are driving at them.

Probably why there is really no difference in low to high beam, it just puts light everywhere lol

Also unless it's turning on more led's on the light, there is no difference in low/high beam according to the box. I don't know if they turn on a separate set like a normal light bulb, or just more of them?

As far as the hi/low beam things, i will attempt to check for sure. I was able to see from my testing that the output pattern with the hi beams was different than the low beams. The output appeared to be raised and was wider....which is what happens with sealed beams as well. The issue with hi beams blinding peiple has more to do with how they are aimed rather than how bright they are. If low beams were adjusted to point the way high beams do they wpuld blind people as well.

I have made a couple of adjustments to make sure that the low beams are pointing down and away from oncoming traffic. It is hard to see in the pictures, but I can definitly see bright spots on the road ahead of me where the beam is focused.

As I test more I will report back.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
As stated above, the housing/mirror/lens package have to be a match for the bulb being used. One big thing is how the light propagates from the "filament". If that is from a standard 9004 type halogen bulb, and LED "bulb" or a HID bulb, the way the light "moves" from the source to mirror/lens is different.

This is why a housing made for a conventional halogen bulb doesn't work well with other type bulbs and vice versa. For Example: My wife's new vehicle an 07 Infinity QX56 (Nissan Armada) has HID low beam lights. It has a completely different reflector/lens for the high beam, which uses a standard halogen bulb. These two different areas look drastically different. The HID has a very definite box pattern on the road or on a wall, and there's very little light above the cutoff point of the beam. The factory has even built an adjustment into the low beams, controlled from a dial on the dash, if you are loaded and the rear is squatting, you can adjust the light lower to put it back where the pattern should be. These lights are very nice to use, but are not blinding like a retrofit would be.

Here is a picture of the headlight:
You must be registered for see images attach

If you would like, I can take some pictures for comparison. Having driven her truck and seeing how the light field looks in these pictures, I can see a drastic difference.

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As stated above, the housing/mirror/lens package have to be a match for the bulb being used. One big thing is how the light propagates from the "filament". If that is from a standard 9004 type halogen bulb, and LED "bulb" or a HID bulb, the way the light "moves" from the source to mirror/lens is different.

This is why a housing made for a conventional halogen bulb doesn't work well with other type bulbs and vice versa. For Example: My wife's new vehicle an 07 Infinity QX56 (Nissan Armada) has HID low beam lights. It has a completely different reflector/lens for the high beam, which uses a standard halogen bulb. These two different areas look drastically different. The HID has a very definite box pattern on the road or on a wall, and there's very little light above the cutoff point of the beam. The factory has even built an adjustment into the low beams, controlled from a dial on the dash, if you are loaded and the rear is squatting, you can adjust the light lower to put it back where the pattern should be. These lights are very nice to use, but are not blinding like a retrofit would be.

Here is a picture of the headlight:

If you would like, I can take some pictures for comparison. Having driven her truck and seeing how the light field looks in these pictures, I can see a drastic difference.

Educational!

SPR1NK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably why there is really no difference in low to high beam, it just puts light everywhere lol

Also unless it's turning on more led's on the light, there is no difference in low/high beam according to the box. I don't know if they turn on a separate set like a normal light bulb, or just more of them?

the ones i got have three sides to the "bulb" each side has diodes on it, two sides are on when it's on dim and the third side the diodes are closer to the reflector and they come on when you go to brights, but i think the two for dim are so bright that they kinda make it hard to see that the third set of diodes has come on

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have adjusted these a few times to drop the beam down some and make sure the intense beam part of it is in the center of my lane. I will attempt to get some more pics this evening. Judging by the reflections off the signs around dawn when I leave for work there is now a difference between hi and low beams.

I also had a chat with an officer last night (56 in a 45). It was dark and he was in the on coming lane on a country 2 lane road. He didn't say anything about my headlight, so I am guessing they weren't blinding him. He even let me off with no paperwork so it was good all around.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did some more adjustment on the headlights. You can now tell the difference between the high and low beams. Here are some pics. If you look at the fence on the right you can see that the high beams illuminate the area more.
Low Beams

High Beams

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did some more adjustment on the headlights. You can now tell the difference between the high and low beams. Here are some pics. If you look at the fence on the right you can see that the high beams illuminate the area more.
Low Beams

High Beams
I'm having to adjust my headlights right now. Its kinda a PIA trying to get new headlights, turn signals, and side lamp housings to line up nicely.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm having to adjust my headlights right now. Its kinda a PIA trying to get new headlights, turn signals, and side lamp housings to line up nicely.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

I guess I am lucky. I dont have to worry about lining all the other lights up with the headlights.