'86 6.9 NA vs. '93 6.5 TD

TBigLug

I Miss U Baby Girl
Reaction score
Oh, and the noise. I haven't been able to get behind the sound of a 6.5. The 6.9's are a little better but I gotta lean towards the CTD for true diesel sound.

sootman73

Reaction score
i've never heard of any problems with the electronic pump after the 1994 year. and if you get a 6.5l with the dual thermostats(1996 and up) they hardly ever overheat. Oh and the radiator has to be in good condition or you will have problems overeating.
my friends 6.5l never goes over 180 degrees whether towing or not....

like i said my buddies truck costs a lot less for him to own than my truck. and his is hopped up with the reprogrammed ECM, mechanical wastegate, and no vaccuum pump. all these complaints about vaccuum wastegate, electronic pump, and the such are pretty cheaply fixed(and modded for more hp). the mechanical trucks are junk IMO. they are slow, and you have to replace turbo to get decent power. the later trucks are much better

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trade for the Chevy! Loyalty above all else! :fight:

Besides, then those 2 guys in the other forum won't be as lonely and there will be 3 of you. LOL

Heaven help the man that doubts what he's sure of.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I own a 6.2 and have never had it overheat, but I always upgrade things as soon as I buy them so I can't say what that design will do as stock. I've heard that the 6.5s with their boards have problems with heat, and truth be told as most will read in my posts, I am a fan of mechanical over computer controlled anyday. I have driven a 6.5 and it was ok, since I own that bodystyle I know they ride like cars, and that's fine if you want that as your main reason for owning a truck. And I know my 82 Burb only has a 6.2 but it's never given me head or overheating problems, nor has it given those issues to my folks before I bought it from them. And I've always loved the GM Hydroboost setup.

My 86 6.9 may not pull as fast as a turbo'd animal, but it pulls consistently. However, it does ride like an unloaded buckboard and I wish I'd put a different seat in so I would have the lumbar support (transferred in from a 94 when my bench seat when TU) like my 89 does in the 60/40 seat in it. And the 6.9 does start a little harder than the 6.2 I have, so the Ford likes to be plugged in when the weather gets colder whereas I can wait a few more degrees before the 6.2 needs the extension cable pulled out for it.

You know, I was a Ford fan first because my first owned vehicle was a Ford. I've owned Chevy's since, and although I love my 89 to death and will probably be buried in in (since I will probably be killed in it) because I can't let it go even though it needs a lot more upkeep than any of the Fords ever needed. I have a soft spot for Chevy engines since I have yet to be able to find one that wasn't able to run after a LOT of thrashing and if any of you ever saw how my brother treats his stuff and he wasn't ever able to hurt his 6.2 even though he killed the 82 GMC it was in, you'd have a respect for GM engines too if not just pity for having him as an owner. Now his Cummins on the other hand, he's doing a DAMN good job of wrecking that thing. Holy Crap! I pity that Dodge and feel sorry for that diesel.

I'm with Towcat on his observations, and like Mel said - you just have to be happy with what you are driving. If you are deep down a Chevy guy then a Chevy is going to make you happier no matter how differently the two work. Now me, when push comes to shove I am a Ford guy deep down. I like a stiffer ride because I like knowing I am in a truck. Engines are like tires, if you don't like what you have but like the rest of the vehicle, just change whatever you need to out.

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the whole loyalty thing is pretty interesting...I am a die hard GM guy, but when I started truck shopping for a CC dually every GM truck I drove felt soft and delicate. Drove the 86 6.9 and feel in love, boought a few more just so she wouldnt feel like the red-headed step-child

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
As for the electronic 6.5 I will say I LOVED that aspect of mine. It was not as simple as mechanical injection, but that doesn't make it bad.

Any electronically injected 6.5 MUST (I can't say must enough) have a PMD (pump mounted driver) isolator. This device drives the injector pump and when the motor gets hot the PMD overheats due to the fact it is placed directly onto the IP in the engine valley and has no way to disperse heat. I put mine behind the front bumper and it turned my truck into a whole different animal. I would put money on this being 98% of the reason the electronic models have a bad reputation ;Sweet

The electronic 6.5's sound like a mini D-max with a strait pipe and that is so much sexier than the Buuuurrrrraaaa KA KA KA KA KA KA KA KA my 7.3 makes when wound up :puke:LOL:rotflmao

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't you just put a heat sink on the PMD like on a computer processor, also with a small fan on it (they run at 12v) as well? I definitely know they should be moved away from the stock position mounted in the oven to a cooler place, but a fan would be a help no matter what.

sootman73

Reaction score
As for the electronic 6.5 I will say I LOVED that aspect of mine. It was not as simple as mechanical injection, but that doesn't make it bad.

Any electronically injected 6.5 MUST (I can't say must enough) have a PMD (pump mounted driver) isolator. This device drives the injector pump and when the motor gets hot the PMD overheats due to the fact it is placed directly onto the IP in the engine valley and has no way to disperse heat. I put mine behind the front bumper and it turned my truck into a whole different animal. I would put money on this being 98% of the reason the electronic models have a bad reputation ;Sweet

The electronic 6.5's sound like a mini D-max with a strait pipe and that is so much sexier than the Buuuurrrrraaaa KA KA KA KA KA KA KA KA my 7.3 makes when wound up :puke:LOL:rotflmao

yea and the PMD relocating kit can be made pretty cheap with some wire and some aluminum plate.;Sweet

i agree that this is the reason they have a bad rep. the thing is to the powerstroke and cummins and dirtymax guys our motors are junk too. But we know how to keep them running before they break. same thing with the 6.5ls they have the knowledge base about their motors just as well as we know ours and yet have an actual aftermarket base to run to....:eek:LOL

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
Here's an interesting question that has been touched on, but not directly asked...

How do YOU use your truck?

Maxing out the bed capacity?

Towing 2k

Towing 5k

Towing 10k

Driving empty to work every day and dreaming of throwing something in the bed?

How many miles a month do you slap on her?

Something else?

And...Why does your buddy want to trade? What is it about your ford he likes?

The chevy is possibly at the end of the best 2-3 years for that engine, and if you drive mostly empty or lightly loaded and lots of miles it is worth CONSIDERING, not jumping into, but considering...

Keep in mind you know your ford, you know it's problems and are familiar with it, you also know its maintnence history as long as you've owned it, I wonder what he sees in your truck, probably a bit slower than the chevy, and uses a bit more fuel, but if you like to overload it go ford all day long...

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Can't you just put a heat sink on the PMD like on a computer processor, also with a small fan on it (they run at 12v) as well? I definitely know they should be moved away from the stock position mounted in the oven to a cooler place, but a fan would be a help no matter what.

Almost all of the aftermarket coolers use a heat sink and place the PMD on the top of the intake manifold... I tried that at first and found that it actually ran 20* hotter (using a temp gun)!!! YUK! I tried mounting a fan to it and it only dropped the temp 10* which was still 10* hotter than where it is originally placed :puke:

In the long run I used the finned heat sink without a fan and placed it behind the front bumper and found that it never exceed ambient temperature ;Sweet Once I figured this out after spending big $$$ I never had a PMD failure and my truck ran oh so good ;Sweet Heath diesel is the only place I am aware of that makes a remote mount PMD which basically mounts it where I did...

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just curious about how much water or other crap it could be exposed to by the bumper. I've seen it mounted towards the fender on a remote mount with a heat sink and fan. I've just seen it done that way on a buddies rig and it worked well for him.

Being a bit of a nerd, I have a ton of those heat sinks and fans I save from systems I have upgraded, replaced or maintained.

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
I've owned two 6.2l's, a 6.9, two 7.3l IDI, a 97 stroker, and 00 stroker.

My experiences with the 6.2 vs IH IDI.

-My 6.2's started much better and at much colder temps than my IDI's, athough my current IDI will start second crank at 10`.

-The Ford is much easier to work on, no injector lines going over the valve cover.

-The chevy trucks ride softer, though my current 2wd is pretty car-like..

-Both my 6.2's ran hot no matter what. Not talking overheat, just always one hill away from it..

-The 6.2l was quieter

-The 6.2's got amazing fuel economy. Never got less than 18, my current IDI only gets 13 on average, even with a completely new fuel system.

-The ford has an integral oil cooler, I got stuck on the side of the road once with one of my 6.2's cause the oil cooler line split..

In your case, trading up to a '93 chevy seems pretty sweet, especially if you're a chevy guy! Plus the ford guy gets a pretty sweet Ford IDI. If its apples to apples, I'd go for it.

TBigLug

I Miss U Baby Girl
Reaction score
Here's an interesting question that has been touched on, but not directly asked...

How do YOU use your truck?

Maxing out the bed capacity? Not often but it has happened.

You must be registered for see images attach

Towing 10k? About 12 to 20 times a summer depending on how many pulls and plow days we go to. Trailer + 4 Belgians + Harness/ Equipment~ 14K. Usually hauling between an hour and 3 hours away (depending on venue).

You must be registered for see images attach

Driving empty to work every day and dreaming of throwing something in the bed? Driving daily to work, yes, dreaming of throwing something in the bed, not so much.

How many miles a month do you slap on her? ~1,000 miles

Something else?

And...Why does your buddy want to trade? What is it about your ford he likes? Pretty much just the fact that it's a Ford. His Chevy isn't in nearly as good of shape (body and interior wise) as my truck. I wish I had a picture of his truck. The swap isn't as much one sided as it sounds reading back through the list. His truck definiteyl has it's quirks. I just don't think I want to give up the ole' **** quite yet. Especially since now it's finally ALMOST where I want it to be. Basically, my truck is truely a DO-IT-ALL machine. It has to haul my 14k trailers, drive me empty to work, get loaded with scrap to the yard, get to MO and back to visit family and every little knock around chore the farm has. Truth is the only thing I wish my truck had that it doesn't is 4x4. If his had it, my old girl woulda already been gone. :rotflmao

Apparently I can't just fill in your quote with my answers so this is to fulfill the two character minimum. Thank you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bob123456789

Members online