85 F250 TOTALED Yesterday...

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
Glad your okay & very sorry to hear about your truck.
Personally if some small car tried to cut me off when I was pulling a trailer like that I'd push em. Remember that the SIZE matters rule comes into play. :mad:

camo85

smoke em out
Reaction score
Really sorry to hear about your truck!

Did it hapin to have, that is if it survived, any kind of aftermarket exhaust [or custom]? If so I would be interested in buying it, depending on how much you are looking to get for it! And how far away you are, or the shipping is. Send me a PM if it survived.

Glad to hear your alright ~ Aaron

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Sure glad you walked away from it. Any chance the yutz who caused it stuck around long enough to get a ticket -cuss
PRobably one of those famous people who can't drive for beans that you always hear saying, " but I've never been in an acident"...but you gotta wonder how many hundreds they've caused :backoff

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
A wreck of that scale...you are fortunate indeed to have walked away from!

Sheet metal can be replaced!

Shame the person that caused that most likely is clueless----thru either indifference, ignorance or arrogance -cuss

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BOY THAT SUCKS! -cuss

I hope whoever did that to you at least saw what they caused in the rear view mirror. If they didn't stop, I hope it is a vision that haunts them in the quite moments when the mind goes idle and they ponder the afterlife and what that sin may bring. I was nearly wiped out once by a girl with a low tire who tried a lane change too fast. She was in the hammer lane, and her boyfriend leaned out the window to look at the back tire. I suppose he sat back down and told her "you better pull over quick", cause that's what she did, right in front of me. When that Ford emblem showed up in her rear view so close she could count the bugs stuck to it, it scared her and she swerved back, pretty much relying on that low tire, which set her into a spin that only God's grace allowed me to avoid. The folks behind me were not as fortunate. She shut I-81 down for a good while. Was this a populus place where it happened, or were you the only two cars on the road for a few hundred feet? Sure makes me remember why I like a 5th wheel trailer. Do you have a pic of the dearly departed on a happier day? Perhaps a memorial service is in order.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BOOB AGAIN

Just bought a 92 IDI 7.3 F350 , Cab/Chassis truck with a service body on it to replace the totaled 85 so it's official, I'm a "BOOB" again.

The totaled 85 is extended cab, tan interior, if anyone is looking for interior parts. The 6.9 is a good one. 4 speed trans. rear end is good. Front end is toast. Will be parting it all out in next few days so if anyone is looking for anything let me know. If it ain't bent it gets saved.. if it is bent it goes to scrap.;Sweet

tractorman86

Reaction score
man!!! glad your okay, very sorry to hear about your old truck and congrats on the new one! where do you live, where did that happen, i know the 17 is real bad for that kinda stuff? the problem is that we have every kind of driver here, noone is from here and it just gets nuts!!! you dont happen to have a turbo system do you, and if it's 4wd what t-case are you running? pics pics pics

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am sorry that you had to go through this whole mess. Good to hear you are back in the saddle.

I wanted to thank you but for a reason you are unaware of. I am in the middle of a long tow with my 24 ft gooseneck trailer right now. When you posted this thread it caught my attention as I was to be leaving soon after this happened.

Your misfortune caused me to go through my trailer brakes on a much more thorough level than I had previously. I kept thinking about how your accident happened. The brakes were working but marginally. I had already replaced the controller (it was just worn out and worked intermittently) and the brakes were very weak even at 12.0 volts. I had adjusted them previously and felt they was as good as they were going to get. After reading about your accident I decided that I had to make certain the brakes were performing adequately.

I ended up adjusting the brakes for balance by setting them up so that they became impossible to turn at the same voltage on the controller. In doing this I discovered that I needed to replace one of the magnets also. Which I did yesterday.

Today as I was approaching Atlanta a car jumped into my lane and slammed on their brakes. I guess something spooked them but I can't really figure out what they slowed down for. It was a construction zone and there was a barricade on the very edge of the right lane. Car in the lane next to me and I had nowhere to go. I laid into the brakes hard and was able to scrub off enough speed to avoid the car and it stayed straight enough to not hit anything or anyone around me.:hail

So in a way I feel I owe you a thanks for opening my eyes at the right time. Again I am sorry you had a wreck but I'm glad you are okay.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for your support and good wishes.

If my "event" helps someone else avoid a repeat of the wreck I'm grateful. I've been towing all kinds of loads for the last 40 years and this was the first time I've ever had a rig go absolutely out of control with no recovery possible. Once the trailer started whipping the gyrations accelerated to the point where the rear end of the old F250 was whipping from side to side across 3 lanes of traffic with the trailer pushing it and the rear end off the ground at times. First time I ever tried to steer an 8000 lb wheelbarrow at 50+ mph and I hope the LAST !!!!

Enough normal life has returned now to "monday morning Q'back" the wreck and "if" I had "just a little more trailer brake" or "the rear brakes on F250" had been adjusted up tight I "may" have been able to dump enough speed early enough to stop the gyration set up by the swerve.... "maybe"...... or "maybe not"..... I recall the moment just before I did the Dale Earnheart into the retaining wall that I desperately wished for a big hand to come out of the clouds and grab the trailer to stop it from driving the truck. More trailer brake just might have saved the day. I leave that thought to everyone else here to ponder hopefully before an event like mine.

For those of you who would like to put some of the parts to use perhaps, the truck is an 85 F250, Two Wheel drive, 6.9 non turbo, new IP, new injectors, new glo plugs, new glo plug controller, new belts and hoses, engine has no bad habits, 4 speed, new clutch, new master, new slave, new fuel tank switch/valve, Alcoa wheels [no visible damage to the rims, would do a good inspection on them before putting them back in service], Dana LS rear end, 4.10's, new brakes from the backing plate out [ie. new springs, adjusters, shoes, drums, wheel cylinders, etc.] new shocks, f350 springs and overloads. Two clean fuel tanks rust free AZ truck. Loads of other parts that are not bent but can't find a single piece of sheet metal on the truck that is straight now although the doors still open and close normally and glass is good.

Would make a great donor truck if you had a good body/frame with no motor and other missing hard parts.
FWIW, Grant...

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
sorry to hear that but next time..DON'T DODGE.Supid should HURT!If your going to be stupid you gotta be strong.....also Supid is natures way of culling the herd.When I drive my deuce around I always watch out for people.I have almost parked it on top of MANY people so far.Last one was some idiot on rain slick roads at night zinged around me and cut me off.THey then proceeded at high speed another 300 feet and found out that I was following another deuce towing a deuce.next thing I know their taillights disappear and I see headlights.Then I see tail lights again and then nothing.As I am barreling up on them at 50MPH(mind you I also have a Ford Ranger sitting IN THE BED) I see a red thing broad side.Turned out to be a Pontiac Sunfire turned.They spun out when they came up on the other deuce about about 30MPH faster speed.I grabbed all the brake I could and held on.They remembered REAL fast about the first deuce they passed and slammed it in reverse.Last I saw of that car it was ass down in a ditch......I just grabbed a gear and hammered down.Never a swerve.I knew better with NDTs.I was either going through,Over,or push them.I was not gonna swerve and risk putting the deuce into a spin and roll it over(Not cab structure!) or sling the ranger out the rear.