84 F-350 dually 4wd flatbed, with 7.3L, not a 6.9

James1966

Reaction score
I am looking at buying a C6-E4OD (from 93 Bronco) to replace my T-19. I'm looking for more top end and adding a turbo at a later time. Can anyone tell me if there is anything about compatibility?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it a C6 or an e40d? Those are two different transmissions. And either of those transmissions have a small block and big block configuration. Only the big block trans will work for you.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My understanding is the only one that will DIRECTLY BOLT UP is one from a diesel. The big block one can be MADE to work, but I believe a couple holes need to be drilled?

I know that's the case with the ZF5 manual. I could be mistaken about the automatics.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to owning a Ford. Your idi diesel has a oddball international bellhousing pattern on the block. So it has a adapter on the back of it to change the pattern. If it's in a school bus, dump truck, u haul, etc. with a big truck transmission, it has a adapter to adapt it to a SAE bellhousing pattern.

So Ford takes this engine and makes their own adapter. You would think they would have made the adapter to fit the 460 big block pattern they are already tooled to make. No. They decide to make an adapter that adapts to a completely oddball pattern. The c6 housing has to be re-tooled for this pattern, the zf and the E4OD all have their own special castings just for this oddball pattern they came up with. It has to be something political in it all.