84 F-350 dually 4wd flatbed, with 7.3L, not a 6.9

James1966

Reaction score
I bought this for $500. It has unknown mileage and a 7.3idi instead of the 6.9. I put new oil, fuel and oil filters, cut the bowl out of the air filter. The tranny appears to be the T-19 4spd. She started right up with new batteries after sitting with old fuel for the past 6yrs. Can anyone give me info from these pics? Thanks.

You must be registered for see images attach

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SRW front, so you get to carry two spares.

Engine swap is a good thing. The 6.9 from that time would have been an "early" one, with at least the block heater issue.

If it's original, yes, it would be a T19.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
What do you want to know? Lol
I would either complete the dually swap, or go back to srw, especially if you don't plan on towing real heavy.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would investigate and do some measuring. See what the vin code is and the info on the door jamb.

Do you have a chassis cab or a pickup truck? Was it originally a 2wd dually and it was converted to 4x4 with a srw front axle? Or like someone else said, was it a 4x4 srw originally and it was converted to a dually rear? There are two different dually rearends, the pickup style and the cab and chassis style. It would be good to know what you have.

I suppose you also could have had a chassis/cab srw truck? Does anyone know if they made such a thing back then? I have a 09 superduty that is a chassis cab srw 4x4, but I don't know if they had such an animal back in the mid 80's.

James1966

Reaction score
I do intend on using this truck occasionally to haul my 5th-wheel appox 12.5k lbs. The truck runs great. I've driven it several times. I ran it thru it's gears, 4wd high and low. The only two things that seem of concern to me is that brake pedal is soft, and doesn't return fully back up. The other thing is that when I don't want to down-shift and leave the clutch in to stop, the engine doesn't go to low idle. Most often it dies and I have to restart the engine
Does anyone recommend a diagnosis? I do not know what combo of front and rear axles...gear ratios I have with this.
I would eventually like to install a ZF-5 Tranny, tach, a IDI turbo with a egt gauge with a 3-4" exhaust.
This truck is like working on a model as a kid. I love it!

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could be wrong but that should be a factory single rear truck. At least my dually is 10,000gvw. This one is 9,000 so I'm thinking that's a swapped rear.

Also, as far as I know. Only single rear or cab and chassis got 235/85 tires. Pickup duallys got 215/85s right?

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But for RIMS it says 16x6K, which I'm _pretty_ sure means dually.

They put a TTB front axle, probably a Dana 50, under it. That would be "historically correct" for that year truck, but not long after (mid '85), they switched to a Dana 60 straight axle for the F350, which continued right up to the end of the OBS run. That TTB, with SRW hubs, is definitely a "minimalist" conversion.

Looks like a G3 axle code is a Dana 3.54 limited slip.

BTW, does it have the 7.3-style fuel filter setup? I see the old 6.9-style Stanadyne separator is there on the firewall. Is it still commissioned?

Your cowl seal appears to be falling apart. Right on schedule. Leak there can leak rain water into your intake. In some extreme cases, people have hydrolocked their engines. LMC, the Graveyard, etc. have replacements. On advice of a member either here or on another forum, I bought a roll of garage door bottom seal and cut off just enough for this. Seems to work better than the original, and should hold up better. And you can do 2-3 trucks with one roll.

James1966

Reaction score
The Stanadyne Separator has been bypassed, it has the fuel/water separator (which I replaced) with the bottom cast aluminum water drain. I was thinking the rear axle is a Sterling 10.25 due to having a 12 bolt rear axle cover. I repainted the air filter housing and greased the seal on the the housing. I saw recommendations about using a garage door bottom seal. I haven't had any water accumulation on the filter housing, but I will replace it as a precaution.
I could be wrong...since I'm new to idi's. This is a strong and healthy engine. I look forward to making the most of this "new to me" truck.

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
235/85/16 is the stock size on all f250-350 if I remember correctly. 16X6.5 is the only rim size I have seen unless it had the aluminum rims but I've never owned one with them so that's just a guess..

Looks to me like its a dually conversion judging from your wheel base on the sticker.

Nice score on that one though... Wish I could've found that when I got mine... Hell I'd love to just have the flat bed..

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
16x6.5 would be SRW wheels. 16x6.5K are DRW, from what little research I've done.

And I've seen plenty of DRW door jamb stickers with 215/85R15 as the stock tire size.

Good eye on the wheelbase; 133" would be a regular cab long bed. And there's no "Incomplete Vehicle" wording on the sticker, so yeah, it probably started life as a mild-mannered pickup.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s always interesting picking up old trucks and doing some detective work to find out about their past. ;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online