80-86 tailgate, best quality heaviest available?

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
10% discount at Dennis Carpenter today. Pulled the trigger on it. My tailgate is a ridiculously long exercise in frustration and ratchet straps every time I use it. Tried to buy several Ford tailgate here and elsewhere but apparently nobody wants to be bothered with crating and shipping so I'm sick of waiting. When it arrives I'll give impressions of quality and weigh it for comparison to my POS China tailgate. I expect weight will be the real measure of quality.

Will need to get an aluminum or other type of cap for the top. Hurts to spend $360+shipping on something that will be used, abused, and without a doubt banged up, but it needs to be done.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recall an oem tailgate is something like 1500 bucks new...:eek: Quality costs. I'm surprised these are not stolen all the time off our ribs. One person can remove one in about 20 seconds. No real way to secure them..
A hose clamp around the open end and tightened down stops most theives unless they have a tool to remove the clamp and the time to do it.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I recall an oem tailgate is something like 1500 bucks new...:eek: Quality costs. I'm surprised these are not stolen all the time off our ribs. One person can remove one in about 20 seconds. No real way to secure them..

A hose clamp around the open end and tightened down stops most theives unless they have a tool to remove the clamp and the time to do it.

Yep, this is why most newer pickup owners keep the tailgates locked (most of the newer pickups have a matching lock cylinder in the tailgate to the rest of the truck that allows you to lock the tailgate handle) Last comment I remember from someone that has a new Super Duty with all the "bells and whistles" (backup camera, "pretty" filler (Like the older Lariat Trucks), etc) the replacement cost for the tailgate and all the accessories was almost $4,000 dollars. It has gotten so bad, some insurance companies won't cover a replacement tailgate if it wasn't locked.......

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
DC tailgate arrived. package is labeled 52 lbs (probably 2-ish lbs of misc small bits ordered as well). Sheet metal measures .046"-.048" on a few spots. This as compared to .036"-.038" on the China tailgate on the truck now, and that is being generous as it has paint on it which is surely a couple thou on each side. As I figure that works out to 18 ga for DC and 20 ga for China, which depending how thick paint is may actually be 22 ga. There may also be additional bracing in the DC gate or around the perimeter since it feels sturdier.

Initial impressions: Lifted the box without thinking, expecting like my light China gate and was surprised (pleasantly!) that it felt appreciably heavier. I can lay the tailgate flat and only supported by the packaging styrofoam at each corner I can put all my weight on it (200 lbs) with barely noticeable deflection. It is heavy and feels sturdy. There is one spot to right and above handle area that the factory finish is marred, looked like it either rubbed or had tape/glue on it. No big deal, but thought I'd mention it.

With the China tailgate up I can press in the middle with my hand and see appreciable deflection. It has significantly bowed in the middle from sitting on it and loading/unloading things. Previous trucks I've had with Ford tailgates never did this (that I've noticed) even with 600+ lbs on them. The China tailgate is totally bent, spot welds popped, and need a strap to hold it closed. It was in bad shape but what did it in was loading a ~500 lbs motorcycle, something I've done countless times with Ford tailgates.

I also like that this tailgate has the FORD letters stamped in it. My truck is white with a red pinstripe. I intend to have the tailgate painted to match with pinstripe and the letters done in matching red. There are a few rust spots peaking through on door bottoms so this may end up turning into a full paint job, albeit a cheap one as it's a daily driver and working truck. Just want it to look presentable, not rust, and be functional.

The right fender is tweaked slightly from someone backing into it while PO had it. Both fenders are China repops. If I end up having the whole truck painted, just going off my initial impression of the tailgate, I suspect I will buy fenders and doors from DC.

Also, if anyone has a recommendation for a aluminum or similar topper for the top of the tailgate I will be buying something for it, so that would be useful.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice review

Noticed in LMC catalogue they have an assist spring to cloe gate bout 45 bucks iirc.

Maybe the have a top edge cap too???

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Noticed in LMC catalogue they have an assist spring to cloe gate bout 45 bucks iirc.

That's funny. I always felt like I was gonna break my LMC/China tailgate when closing it. So light and hollow feeling, slammed every time even trying to be gentle. The idea of an assist spring to make closing it easier is absurd.

Thanks though, LMC is good for some things. I will check them for a top cap. Have one unknown brand on my other truck and it has all sorts of gouges but has protected the top of the original tailgate and does not look out of place. At some point I'll check thickness of the original Ford tailgate on that truck, and weigh it to compare to the empy/assembled weight of the DC tailgate. This is an expensive part, but if it is truly quality I want people to know it's worth the money so they keep making them. My biggest hold up, and I imagine others too, was the unknown if it was just flimsy China crap with FORD letters and a high price tag or if it was the real deal. Time will tell, but I'm optimistic so far.