80-86 tailgate, best quality heaviest available?

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with the various aftermarket tailgates? Mine has some cheap aftermarket gate. Flexes with any any load even just sitting on it. Very light, comes off the pins if not closing carefully. The side panel that holds the latch and sits on the lower pivot pin on the bedside has broken free and is now mangled. I could make this work but I would really like a truly equivalent to OE Ford tailgate. Same weight or heavier, same gauge metal or thicket, same bracing/stamping or more rigid... etc. and preferably retain original external appearance.

I don't understand why there are these $100-$200 aftermarket tailgates that just bent and break so easily. It's difficult to determine how many companies actually make these and what brand a company is actually selling. They also don't like to disclose the weight of items, which in the case of a tailgate seems to be the best indicator of quality. I have never had problems with actual Ford tailgates on several 80-86 trucks flexing, cracking, breaking, etc. and I've used and abused them far more than I have this light flexible tailgate. Unfortunately when I do see originals for sale they are usually rusted out.

Amazon lists one that has a shipping weight of 41 lbs, hopefully not all packing material. It says multiple manufacturers though, not a specific company.
http://www.amazon.com/Evan-Fischer-EVA17272011215-Tailgate-design-Primered/dp/B009DJXLSM

Summit lists a Shermin brand tailgate.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/shi-575-71/overview/year/1986/make/ford/model/f-350
https://www.shermanparts.com/ecat/base/dropdowns.php?last0=Ford&last1=Pickup+%2853-98%29&make=Ford&model=Pickup+%2853-98%29&year=1986

LMC lists two tailgates. 49-8331 "REPRO-PLAIN" for $150 which looks like every other generic or unknown brand I'd seen. They also list 49-8316 "OE W/FORD" which they say is 80-82 only, for $500. I called them last year asking about the $500 tailgate and they didn't know manufacturer, weight, or gauge of metal. While I will pay $500 for a quality tailgate I won't gamble that much on getting the same thin flexy cheap Chinese junk that's on my truck now.

I just checked Dennis Carpenter and they list a tailgate for $400 Made in USA. Considering buying this as I suspect they actually make it themself and I have been pleased with quality of other things I've ordered from them, though that has mostly been rubber, seals, knobs, and other small rubber or plastic parts as opposed to sheet metal or structural parts. http://dennis-carpenter.com/tail-gate/p/E0TZ-9940700-A/

Any other companies offering a tailgate? Any experience with any of the above or with Dennis Carpenter specifically?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I recall an oem tailgate is something like 1500 bucks new...:eek: Quality costs. I'm surprised these are not stolen all the time off our ribs. One person can remove one in about 20 seconds. No real way to secure them..

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
I was under the impression they didn't make these anymore? Shows as discontinued/NLA when I looked up the PN (was an E5 number I checked) I have a Ford tailgate on my lifted/play truck and I love it, but it is thin at the bottom and has some holes starting, but it's still solid when putting 700+ lbs on it. Guess I could patch it up and use that if need be but would prefer new/solid or NOS.

If new is available $1500 is steep, but if it lasts another 30+ years that's $50/yr or less and doesn't need replacing every year or two or possibly cause more than $1500 worth of damage to things I'm loading/unloading ... etc... Hate to spend that much on something that will see some abuse, but in teh grand scheme of things it's not terrible if it's the only option for decent quality. $60k for a new truck, or $1500 for a tailgate. Not convinced the latest trucks will have any more robust tailgate than the China repops, with EPA shenanigans and the latest trend toward aluminum bodies. Of course the latest generation of trucks will all be scrapped while our IDIs are still hard at work.

I suppose I may have a different view than most, but for me this is hopefully the last truck I'll ever own for day to day use and general moving or towing stuff. I'll pay for quality. I wonder if the solution may be to either make my own or have one made. Something like round tubing on bottom and top, thick plate for bed/top side, ribs/bracing inside if needed, and just get a Ford skin so the outside looks very close to original.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Why not purchase one from a wrecking yard? Just paint it to match the rig.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Why not purchase one from a wrecking yard? Just paint it to match the rig.

Gary,

He is in New Jersey..... I'm sure if there are any in the wrecking yard, they aren't much better than what he has.....

Not all of us are spoiled like you, and Brian and Calvin...........

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
There are very few 80-86 trucks at the yards I've been to within an hour or two drive, the few I've seen have been rotted out junk so far as body parts.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
want me to look at my local yard?
clean tailgates ost about 150 at my yard.
shipping would be about 150....

and scott, there are pros and cons, we deal with the communistic ways for the lack of rust... its a win/loose kinda thing.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about making my own tailgate, using the airgate theme but instead of using flexible netting, welding it up from steel. The cups at the hinges could be easily made from pipe, but I haven't narrowed down the best way to latch it. Barrel bolts/gate latches on each side may work. Keep the cable thing that the factory used.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a perfect 80 - 86 tailgate setting on the shelf. Arizona no rust tailgate.

I paid $180 for it thinking it would fit my 92.. it didn't.. body lines changed just enough it wasn't "exactly right" for the 92.

If you are interested, IM me. I'd like what I have in it.. you pay freight.. it's OEM ford.. and heavy.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
and scott, there are pros and cons, we deal with the communistic ways for the lack of rust... its a win/loose kinda thing.
Move to Texas Then.
No Rust
and the women are better(as long as you avoid the East) LOL

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Move to Texas Then.
No Rust
and the women are better(as long as you avoid the East) LOL
there may be no rust on the trucks but there isn't a straight body panel either. Most trucks I've seen in TX don't have beds left after a year in use. unless it belongs to a horse princess who leaves the GN trailer hooked to it all weekend long.
oh yea, I've met some very nice ladies from the eastern side of tx. I do tend to stay away from ones who live in Houston and the surrounding area though.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
want me to look at my local yard?
clean tailgates ost about 150 at my yard.
shipping would be about 150....

Agreed, I will keep my rust, snow and cold to be left alone........

Eli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh yea, I've met some very nice ladies from the eastern side of tx. I do tend to stay away from ones who live in Houston and the surrounding area though.

That's 'cause they ain't Texans!
And when did Dennis Carpenter start selling so much stuff? I remember '32-'48 Fords only not too long ago!

Eli