80-86 Long bed

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Simple: I want a long bed that is not damaged or beat up or full of holes. I keep finding them listed in the pick-n-pull joints, even good photos! But when I get there I find that the gorillas driving the forklifts have poked holes in the side or otherwise ruined a perfect bed while placing it in the yard.

SO

I am looking for a bed only in the western states, as far east as Texas. Will take a whole truck if the price is right, just to get the bed. Looking for silver, but any color will work as long as there are two fuel tank doors on the left side. Please send PM and be patient waiting for a reply. Even though I am retired, I have become terribly busy with honey do projects.

If you know of one in a junkyard, please let me know, I just want some straight, unmolested sheet metal. Even thought they are almost 40 years old, Ford made a buttload of these trucks, there are plenty laying about in back yards waiting to be claimed by rust.

Knuckledragger

Reaction score
The beds look the same from 1980 to 1994 (and later?), the only difference I know about are the tail light lenses. Can anyone enlighten me? It would make my search WAY easier if I could use an OBS bed. Thanks in advance!

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
An 80-96 bed will work, however, the 80-86 bed has different body lines than the 87-96. The bull bed has the body line above the rocker and the fender lip does not "stick out" fro the side of the bed. Also the shape at the top bedrail is different, as it the tail lights.

If you look at the picture in this recent for sale ad:

If you look, you can see the difference between bull body lines and having a brick/OBS bed on it. The bull is my favorite body style, and that it the FIRST thing I notice on a bull, if it has the "wrong bed" on it......

Knuckledragger

Reaction score
An 80-96 bed will work, however, the 80-86 bed has different body lines than the 87-96. The bull bed has the body line above the rocker and the fender lip does not "stick out" fro the side of the bed. Also the shape at the top bedrail is different, as it the tail lights.
Thanks, I see the difference now. I was not bothered by the tail light differences, but now I will always see the difference in the wheel opening. It may be cheaper to just fix the bed I have.