#8 misfire still present after rebuilding injectors

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't know why you would need an oil cooler, just replace the O'rings on it while it's off. If the #8 bore looks that good, then a skim bore of .004 to make sure the cyl. is round and no taper, then a .002 honeing for the crosshatch. That would take a .010 OS piston. The other cylinders with only 191K miles you might be able to see the honeing marks yet, but they should be honed again with a ball hone just to seat the new rings. If you hone them yourself, try to hold the crosshatch to 60 degrees. Looks like you may getaway with a reasonable cost afterall.

milner351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well - I took the block, heads and crank to Superior diesel in Detroit - family owned since '78. They looked everything over and determined .030" over was the way to go- so that's how I went. Heads cleaned up nicely as did the block and crank - no cracks, everything passed pressure checks.

I've detailed the build with plenty of pictures here if you're interested:
http://www.bangshift.com/forum/index.php?topic=20700.195

milner351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The engine is back in the truck - everything is hooked up - no leaks.

Cranks and cranks and cranks... no combustion, no smoke from the tail pipe.

HPOP resevoir has oil in it (we added ~2 quarts before cranking)
We added oil to the head galleys through the plug holes.
about 18 quarts total in the engine at this point
(what all data suggests for dry engine after rebuild)

Tach moves when cranking, scanner shows about 180rpm cranking.

No oil pressure showing on factory gauge when cranking (can't recall if it ever did)

KPA for high pressure oil (I think that's the pid - can't recall the exact name) was up in the 650 range when we quit trying.... so it is building pressure.

Cranks nice and even - no funny noise, no pops or sputters.

Fuel filter housing is full.

Fuses in engine compartment box all check out OK.

I remember it took a long time to prime the system after running out of fuel.... I'm assuming it will take a longer time to prime the HPOP and fuel systems starting with a dry engine.

Any suggestions?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
millner,

Nice job on the rebuild. You should get many more years out of that stroke!!!

BTW - On an odd side note, did you live in Central Indiana at one point in time. I noticed in one of your pictures, you were wearing a 99.5 WZPL Tee-Shirt. I live near Indy and work Downtown.... it just caught my eye that you had an Indianapolis Radio Station shirt on..... (I notice details like that.....)