7.3idi na to a turbo set up on stock

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a 7.3idi turbo in the junk yard today and about 80% of it was still there. Valve covers and injectors was gone. What would I need to make my truck turbo. I know turbo, exhaust up pipe and down, oil lines and transmission dipstick. Anything I'm miss or I could do without for a little bit.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know the truck you are talking about! Idioit has the valve covers now. You don't need the injectors. You will need the exhaust up and down pipes as well as the turbo and the turbo pedestal it is bolted to. That truck has a janky looking home made air filter too.

As far as th valve covers go, one has a bracket to relocate the glow plug controller, which is necessary to do, the other has a new mount for the CDR, which has to be relocated for the turbo pedestal.

There is a guy here on the marketplace over in Memphis that is selling a complete turbo engine with the turbo that might be a better deal, as it is complete.

Btw, don't grab my rear airbags that truck has on it! I want them! Jk

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's alittle rear to see an 7.3idi in there but that's good to know because I'm thinking a few hundred buck I can get a little more power and mpg in getting 14 on a good day. It's ha 4.56 gears sucks.
If it do I'll upgrade turbos.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DO NOT BUY ANYTHING MECHANICAL OFF THAT ENGINE!!!

CP, i greatly appreciate the hook up,
but on the CDR side of the valve cover, the baffle inside the valve cover was put together with machine screws and nuts!

now, this is not a big deal for me, as i removed them, welded up the holes, and then welded the baffle in..

but anyone that trusts a machine screw, and a nut hanging over the rockers had no f'n clue what they were doing!

go for the 2nd option.....

BTW, those valve covers are getting powdercoated a brilliant dark metallic blue, **** pics to come;Sweet

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, I didn't even notice that! Some people's children. Right!

Glad you were able to fix them up for you.

Rustygold, I doubt you will get any better mileage. I know I don't. The gears are killing you. If I keep my 4.10 equipped truck under 60, I can get 17 or so, but speed it up, and down the mileage goes....quick.

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is just the start think I can Gail alittle here for cheap and then go and upgrade it later when it's down. And anything I pull from the yard gets rebuild that shaft play was 1/8 to a 1/4 up and down. And plus like the way a turbo sounds git two 5.9 cummins cng and two on diesel. T4 turbo in the big trucks sounds sweet.

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i grabbed is all it has some end play but got everything for around a $100 plus dash gauge mine was janky. Thank for who ever pull the steering out didnt brake the shifter indicator.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726