7.3 swapped, turbo not installed. Should I leave it alone?

epic69

Reaction score
Recently bought a 1989 F250 that previous owner swapped in a 1991 7.3 IDI but they did not transfer over the original turbo that was in the 1991 truck. I have all the parts. Is this a huge job, i'm fairly mechanical and have room to work on it.. but also is it worth it or should I just leave the 7.3 as is naturally aspirated. Engine starts and runs great.. i use it for pulling trailer with compact tractor. Engine has little over 90,000 miles on it.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
91 didn't come from the factory with a turbo did it? That's an aftermarket turbo correct?

epic69

Reaction score
91 didn't come from the factory with a turbo did it? That's an aftermarket turbo correct?
I'm not sure.. this is what I have. if its not from that 91 7.3 perhaps they just picked it up from a later year and just never got around to installing it. I'm wondering if its worth the work or not..

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 7

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are happy with the way it pulls then I'd leave it alone. I'm putting a turbo on mine though. Makes a noticable difference in power.

epic69

Reaction score
Yea pulls OK. Most folks I talk to around my area, work, etc. recommend leaving it alone.. thinking I guess it puts too much stress on the old 7.3 idi? And I'm not sure how big a job it is to install?

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
having driven both, Turbo is always worth it. :rock: if its just a stock turbo that's not pushing too much pressure you should be fine for many miles with out hurting a thing. get an egt gauge and enjoy the power!!

epic69

Reaction score
Oh thanks for that insight! If i was to hire a shop to install that turbo how many hour job would it typically be? local shops around central wis range from low of 75 to $85 per hour for shop rates.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also turbo'd my 89 with the same kit(that's an OEM Ford setup from '94 BTW, made by ATS) and I absolutely love it. Took me a while to dial it in between it being a bad turbo to start with and exhaust leaks, but once it was up and running there's really no going back. They can add 50% more power to the ground with a maxed out IP.

If you have the mechanical ability and room to work, absolutely do it. Make sure the turbo center housing is in good shape so you don't have to pull it soon just to rebuild it.

I'd say it's about the same kind of job as changing a transmission as far as difficulty, minus the heavy lifting. Basically it's not complex but still a good amount of work. Having a buddy is a big help. Having all the right parts first is just as big.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It's hard to say how many hours the install should take. There's a lot of different factors involved. Possibly having to clearance the firewall, sagging cab mounts, and the fact that "I have all of the parts" usually means that "I have about 75% of the parts if you're lucky" (from my experience) are just three examples of things that can significantly lengthen the install time.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Many also recommend you upgrade your IP and injectors, as you know that gets a little pricey too.

I have a 88 n/a. I have thought about it but I am concerned that adding a lot of stress without new head gaskets and studs is going to leave me having to pull the engine soon after.

At some point if I need to rebuild the engine I would consider a turbo then.

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
I turboed my 6.9 and my 7.3 with stock ats turbo and never added studs to the 6.9 and never had any issues. I recently upped the anny and installed stage 1 injectors and a 110 pump and the bigger 3582 turbo on the 7.3 about 3 years ago without studding and havent had issues with it either. Added studs this year along with the intercooler. Although I would always recommend slapping new head gasket kit on when doing the studs, ive found that you dont need the studs for the amount of boost you will see even with bigger turbo, pump, and injectors. But as we all know, if the gasket is disturbed in any way(studs) it needs replaced. The turbo will improve the ability to keep up with traffic and when your not laying into it can help with fuel mileage. I also tow heavy quite frequently. But at the same time, to each their own and experiences may differ. If you got the turbo and everything with it for installation id say put it on or make a bit of coin back by selling it. Just my opinion

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
93 was the first year with a factory turbo. It it is a IDIT engine it will be stamped with a T on the flat area just to the right of the IP gear housing also he oil port in the back will be 1/4 not 1/8, but that could of been drill larger anyhow. It a turbo engine it will be jst fine without studs and such, they where a heavier built engine from the start.

drewr13NJ

Reaction score
I find myself in a similar situation. I have a 1992 7.3 NA. I'm pretty satisfied with the power. I hauled half a yard of river rock in the bed and I felt it was not lacking in power, but figured it would be nice to have a turbo. I want a straight pipe since the stock exhaust is shot and figured I could upgrade the exhaust while I'm adding the turbo. I found a 94 7.3 turbo F-Super Duty on FB marketplace for about a grand. The turbo spun good and the impeller felt solid and owner claimed it was rebuilt. I figured that was a decent price considering most want that for just a used turbo kit. I got the turbo and piping off in about 2 1/2 days. I spend most of the time fighting with the y pipe bolts. Hopefully when I put it back on the 92, I don't run into any issues. I'm having hot start issues, oil pressure regulator issues, so I really should deal with those first before I go and install the turbo, amongst other issues like body and front end issues! :eek::rolleyes:

I think you'll be fine either way; but it will probably be a better/more fun experience with the turbo, but it is one more thing to fail/break!

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'm having hot start issues, oil pressure regulator issues, so I really should deal with those first before I go and install the turbo,
Yes. At least fix the hot start issue before the turbo. If you have to pull the IP, it's much easier to do without a turbo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FordLTDiesel

Members online