7.3 serpantine belt swap

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great deal on the truck. What’s the story with it?

Somehow this didn’t post earlier after I typed it. Kind of moot now but good info to know anyway if you don’t already.

I believe by '94 all the trucks were R134 so if this one is you may want to consider getting the condenser if it's in good shape and hood latch support bar. The R134 condenser is larger than the r12 one because it has to be more efficient so the bend in the hood latch support is deeper to allow for it. And if you do you might as well get the last under hood a/c line that connects the condenser to the evaporator. I believe it's a hard line on the '94 vs a hose on your truck. Then you'll be able to completely update your A/C to the R134 system and it will be as efficient as is possible.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
ended up buying the whole truck am currently figuring out how to explain it to thw wife or hide it...
You could kind of hide the truck out back. That way it will take her a little while to see it. When she asks you about it, just tell her that you've had it for 9 or 10 months. Then when she doubts it, just tell her that she doesn't pay enough attention to you!;)

Nick_Rego

Reaction score
haha thanks for the tips guys.. unfortunately shes smarter than that haha. i just told her it was my buddies and it wont be around for long... anyway so i was basically the chassis with the trans but no transfer case or drive lines and then it obviously has a motor which also has a factory ford turbo setup that has been rebuily not too long ago from the looks of ot compaired to the rest of the truck... interior was ripped out with some of the dash but previous owner says it was abiut 238 orginal miles seems about right based on everything else. he boight it and was told it was a 96 and didnt hesitste to buy it for several thousand only to learn it was actually a 94 and and idi not a psd. he ended up finding a wrecked 97 psd that he swaped the front clip off this 94 into and some other odds and ends. my plan is to put all the nice stuff on my 91 including swapping over too 4x4 luckily that front dana 60 is also 4:10 so shoukd work no problem. and iwas wanting to do a electric shift transfer case anyway. and then the motor i plan on mating up too a zf5 ive had laying around for awhile and stuffing that setup into my 68 f250 single cab long bed.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
By the time that she realizes that the truck is disappearing, you'll be golden. Also, it's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission.

Nick_Rego

Reaction score
By the time that she realizes that the truck is disappearing, you'll be golden. Also, it's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission.
haha she says im on thin ice i responded with "if the polar bears can figure it out so can I" I slept on the couch but good news is shes more mad about that than the truck so im good to go haha

Doc Niver

Reaction score
Stay with the v belts my e350 and f250 both have serps and if it rains they throw a belt if you have a return line leak fuel they throw a belt and no power brakes or steering with a 10,000 lb trailer in a panic stop. 89 f350 has v belts and I wish the other 2 had them also.

Also putting a serp back on the side of the road in -5 deg weather with snow is not fun.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doc, are you sure your serpentine set up is aligned right? I have a couple of them, drove them in the rain forest for several years, never an issue.

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
My '94 never had a belt issue. Doing the belt wasn't hard either. 15MM socket and a breaker bar is all you need plus the routing diagram if your memory isn't so good.

Doc Niver

Reaction score
Serpentine set up is aligned right but after trying different belt types the Dayco seems to hold on better.
The gates didn't work well witch surprised me, usually have good luck out of them.
Still have better luck out of V belts.
Helps if you have a 15mm socket on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere. Glad I had a pipe wrench.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88