7.3 serpantine belt swap

Nick_Rego

Reaction score
So ive seen a few idis the serpantine belt setup and i was wondering where people get the set up to do that? i thoight about trying to adapt a psd front accessory setup but mabye theres a factory option for the idi? if it is a factory option is it certain years or models? where should i look to find a setup?

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Find a ‘92-‘94 wrecking yard truck and harvest the two big aluminum brackets, alternator, a/c compressor and all the pulleys and get all the bolts. Make sure the tensioner mounting hole and idler pulley aren’t wobbly and also know that you’ll be switching to the newer internally regulated alternator which requires some wiring modifications. The a/c compressor will most likely be r134 so if you haven’t switched yet you’ll have to do that too. I think that’s most of what needs to be considered for the switch.

Nick_Rego

Reaction score
Find a ‘92-‘94 wrecking yard truck and harvest the two big aluminum brackets, alternator, a/c compressor and all the pulleys and get all the bolts. Make sure the tensioner mounting hole and idler pulley aren’t wobbly and also know that you’ll be switching to the newer internally regulated alternator which requires some wiring modifications. The a/c compressor will most likely be r134 so if you haven’t switched yet you’ll have to do that too. I think that’s most of what needs to be considered for the switch.
ok i noticed that the alternator is diffrent and i do plan on converting the A/C. what exactly needs to be done to wire in that other style alternator? just wiring in the wires that normally go to the external alternator?

gandalf

Reaction score
2 items I'll comment on.

My '92 CCLB Dually, NA, has a v-belt setup. I have four v-belts running everything under the hood.

When you start looking for instructions on how to do some things, be aware that whatever it is has probably been done before, and written about here. Look in the Tech Article section located at the beginning of this part of the forum.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
My '92 CCLB Dually, NA, has a v-belt setup. I have four v-belts running everything under the hood.
As far as I know, 1992 was the crossover year. Early ones got the V belts, while later ones got the serpentine belt.

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok i noticed that the alternator is diffrent and i do plan on converting the A/C. what exactly needs to be done to wire in that other style alternator? just wiring in the wires that normally go to the external alternator?

I haven't ironed out all the steps of what needs to change but also getting that front wiring harness that runs from the pass side fender to the alt, then on to the tach sensor and a/c clutch (sometimes high pressure cutout as well) will help make things easier. Basically the charging system regulator moves into the alt so the old regulator box isn't used any more but I think there's a couple pins on the harness side of the old regulator that get jumped and one may have to get extended over to the new alt. Just have to compare the two wiring diagrams and determine the details. I'm doing this on our '91 in the next couple months so I'll have all the nitty gritty when we're finished.

And I agree with the guys above, '92 was a change over year so finding serpentine belts on them is hit or miss.

Nick_Rego

Reaction score
I haven't ironed out all the steps of what needs to change but also getting that front wiring harness that runs from the pass side fender to the alt, then on to the tach sensor and a/c clutch (sometimes high pressure cutout as well) will help make things easier. Basically the charging system regulator moves into the alt so the old regulator box isn't used any more but I think there's a couple pins on the harness side of the old regulator that get jumped and one may have to get extended over to the new alt. Just have to compare the two wiring diagrams and determine the details. I'm doing this on our '91 in the next couple months so I'll have all the nitty gritty when we're finished.

And I agree with the guys above, '92 was a change over year so finding serpentine belts on them is hit or miss.
let us know how you do it i am very interested in knowing how it works out.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kind of expensive to do it right.
stay away from the 92 style serp systems.
the tensioner is a open spring design, and has a lug to catch the spring.
often installed incorrectly, is one issue, but ive seen them fail.

shoot for the 93-94 IDI system.
is a closed spring tensioner.
located with a pin, less stress on the bolt.
you can also upgrade to a closed tensioner with a shock to help vibration.
different 3g alternator mount design wise.
also the vacuum pump outlet is different between the 2, easily remedied

You must be registered for see images attach

Nick_Rego

Reaction score
nice I was thinking of deleting the vacuum pump and doing a hydroboost setup anyway. and for cruse and anything else that needs vacuum have a electric pump on board somewhere. not sure what id do for the belt though. around were i am theres not many of these trucks and the ones thst around either run and are driven or are sitting in someones backyard and have long been picked over too keep the other trucks running..

Nick_Rego

Reaction score
i found a 94 that someone is parting out not too far away i know im gonna grab the brackets, all the pulleys, vaccum pump, a/c compressor, alternator with some of the harness , and the tensioner. what else do i need?

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure you have the correct puller for the P/S pump pulley or you'll be buying that from him too as you have to take the pulley off to get pump off the bracket. Get the a/c low pressure/high pressure combo hose that goes to the compressor' it will have the high pressure cut out switch in it. On the harness, if he'll let you, cut on the "truck" side of the connectors so you have that half of the connection to patch into your harness. There will also be a heavy gauge charge wire for the alt that may or may not be part of that harness I can't recall right now.

And maybe the whole fuel system to help resolve your other issues =)

Last edited:

Nick_Rego

Reaction score
so i just pulled it all together with the ps and vacuum pump and everything that goes on the driver aode bracket and them the alternator and bracket with the harness for that side. and the eater pump and crank pulley. and i got all the bolts.. then the man said for $600 i could have the whole truck which has a 4x4 setup with the dana 60 front axel and some other goodies so i couldn't pass it up. ended up buying the whole truck am currently figuring out how to explain it to thw wife or hide it...