7.3 REBUILD IN SAN DIEGO

Uncle Mater

Reaction score
HI GUYS.

I have not been on this forum for quite a while. I am in the beginning process of rebuilding my 7.3 idi an wanted to know if anyone knows of a good shop that somewhat knows these engines so I can have everything checked, cleaned, honed etc. Also, I am looking into having the major parts of the engine teflon coated. Does anyone also know of a good company that can do the piston skirts, push rods, valves and lifters in Southern California. Any help would be much appreciated.

P.S. What kind of pistons would you folks recommend and where would I start looking. I am getting antsy with not having my idi running.
cookoo

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PM "Icanfixall". He's a few hours north of you but has a wealth of hard earned lessons that you don't want to repeat.:eek:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Actually I'm "looking" for another machine shop that will do the work I want done on my next buildup. I found a shop in Oceanside or Carlsbad but now I can't remember the name nor find them. They specialized in sleeving as I recall....:dunno Like said... I'm searching now but I will post when I find a shop. Installing sleeves in these motors is something I have to get the way I want it done... I don't want a glued in sleeve. I want a press fit sleeve. Any glue film acts like a heat barrier and wont conduct heat thru to the coolant side of the liner. I plan on taking a tour of Speedomotive in West Covina Ca.

surfib

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would check out rick's machine shop out in santee/lakeside area. He has done a bunch of IDI rebuilds and stocks parts for them.

Uncle Mater

Reaction score
Great!!!

Thanks guy's for helping me out. I just do not want to give the block to the wrong folks and cause any more damage.

By the way, if my measurements are right, it currently is stock bored and there is no play in them either nor any damage other than slight glazing. Not bad I think.

Last edited:

David94IDIT

Reaction score
I know where not to take it. MJM engines in Escondido. Had to take them to small claims and only got half my money back.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i just so happen to used to live in San Diego and know a guy you can talk to. His name is Joe and his shop is in Santee. He has been in the diesel world for many years and in the automotive for even longer. He just opened up his own shop a couple years ago, my moms jeep is there now. I have known Joe for many years and he is really an upfront guy.

NTG Racing
10969 wheatlands ave
Santee, Ca

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well i just so happen to used to live in San Diego and know a guy you can talk to. His name is Joe and his shop is in Santee. He has been in the diesel world for many years and in the automotive for even longer. He just opened up his own shop a couple years ago, my moms jeep is there now. I have known Joe for many years and he is really an upfront guy.

NTG Racing
10969 wheatlands ave
Santee, Ca

My buddy in poway that is a good mechanic has heard good things about NTG.

Gary, call LA sleeve and see if they do our blocks.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah they work on a lot of racing trucks and stuff. Joe has his truck set up to chase for the General Tire Baja Ram.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk