7.3 no start

Black dawg

Reaction score
I would like to thank everybody for their help. I've been driving IDI diesels for 25 years, and only have had to use ether once.It won't even attempt to fire on the ether with the block heater plugged in, Good batteries and starter and a known good injection pump. If it's not going to fire on ether, it's not going to fire. I'm going to put that IDIT engine in and be done with it. Again I would like to thank everyone.

And what if it wont run.

Why wont this one run? Like said, I would be pulling an injector, and see if fuel is making it past the injectors.

Comptech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of course I am several hundred miles away from my truck right now... Helping a friend of mine move some military trucks to his new residence. They are 6.2 diesels. When retrieving them, I noticed the one he was driving fired up first roll, the one I was driving had to crank quite a bit. I mentioned it when we made it to the new shop. The one he drove has an electric fuel pump, the one I drove still has the mechanical lift pump. I stated that if both injection pumps are primed it should make no difference. He then explained to me that the one with the electrical pump has instant cold advance pressure inside the housing, whereas the mechanical lift has to move some volume as the engine is being cranked to pressurize the housing. While messing with my 7.3, I noticed I was getting all kinds of return fuel on a stone cold engine. I realized the 6.2 and the 7.3 are different engines, but both run the Ricardo pre combustion chamber design and share a db2. With all that return fuel, I don't think the housing is pressurizing for advance on cold start. The 6.2 that I was driving didn't even try to start until the housing was pressurized. I actually can't wait to get home to try it.

Comptech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does my extended post make any sense? If the cold start solenoid in the pump isn't closing, I am not pressurizing the housing and getting no advance 4 cold start.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s actually the reverse with db2s. The cold advance solenoid releases housing pressure to aid in cold startups and to increase timing to help the engine warm up faster. You see a lot of return flow when the advance solenoid is active because the ball in the return fitting is pushed out of the way, opening up the restriction so any flow into the housing is pushed out the return. The startup difference between the two trucks is just because the fuel is supplied sooner with the e pump than with the mech pump. The e pump will not prime the injection pump, it will prime the transfer pump in the rear of the injection pump so injection pressure is reached a bit sooner, but an e pump does not make enough pressure to get past the transfer pump and create the 75+ psi transfer pressure needed to start building injection pressure. The difference in start times is just because the e pump pushes fuel up to the injection pump without cranking.

Comptech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well dang... I was actually looking forward to getting home early..lol.

Comptech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thewes... Thank you. I just sat and read a very good article on the db2 operation.

Comptech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, it is spraying out the injector on 1 and 3. I didn't check any of the others. It is a rolling fast. No smoke out the exhaust.I'm beginning to think that that little clunk I'm hearing while it is rolling over must be something in the timing components or something. I even shot it with ether with an active glow plug system.. yes I know I'm a sinner.. never tries to fire at all. So now it's decision time. Thanks to this site, I was able to determine that I have a 1994 i d i t. Complete ready to run...I will have to run the automatic transmission with it. Or I have at my disposal that totaled powerstroke truck. With a fresh ZF, and every single nut and bolt that I would need. So which am I going to install? Early polling results here at the house point to the IDI. We put a couple batteries in that powerstroke truck, it fired right up and sounds great.

Comptech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is an unneeded donor that my brother has. Remember, always set your parking brake. This one rolled away. I'll bet the original owner had an oh crap moment.

You must be registered for see images attach

Comptech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thewes.. it crossed my mind.problem is that puts me in the position of buying the whole truck just for the transmission. This is an addiction..lol

Comptech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, being that I am very hard headed, I gave yet another day of my life to trying to get this thing started. The crankshaft is broken in half. That is the clunking noise that I was hearing while it was rolling over. Put a breaker bar on it today.. just a guess but I would say 10 degrees before the flexplate moved.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Well, being that I am very hard headed, I gave yet another day of my life to trying to get this thing started. The crankshaft is broken in half. That is the clunking noise that I was hearing while it was rolling over. Put a breaker bar on it today.. just a guess but I would say 10 degrees before the flexplate moved.
:***: Well I guess you have a bigger problem than you thought.:cry:

Comptech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know it's funny, other than a slight clunk it sounded pretty normal rolling over.I really wish I have done my research before buying this turbo motor. I would rather have a normally aspirated motor that has been converted to turbo. Parts are much easier to source for it if something ever goes horribly wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online